BEVERLY, Mass. – St. Lawrence University extended its shutout streak to three straight games on Saturday afternoon with a 38-0 win over Endicott at Hempstead Stadium.
So far this season, the Saints have held SUNY Morrisville (28-0), Norwich (52-0), and Endicott (38-0) off of the scoreboard for a total of 180 minutes played. However, their scoreless streak currently stands at 200:49 when dating back to last season. St. Lawrence has not given up a single point since the 9:11 mark of the third quarter from its NCAA Tournament matchup versus eventual Division III champion Mount Union on November 21, 2015.
In today's game, St. Lawrence limited the Gulls to a season-low 153 yards of total offense, and also used a school record 92-yard interception return for a touchdown by senior linebacker Jayson Leigh (Poughquag, N.Y.) at 9:20 of the second quarter to seize all momentum in the contest. A nine play, 99-yard touchdown drive (3:07) at the tail end of the first half (2:30), which ended in a six-yard TD reception for reigning D3football.com Team of the Week selection Vincenzo Ferraro (Greenwich, Conn.), put the final nail in the coffin for the Gulls.
ENDICOTT OFFENSE/DEFENSE/SPECIAL TEAMS
- Freshman quarterback Joe Kalosky (Plymouth, Conn.) went 9-for-19 passing to go along with 97 yards in a backup roll.
- Classmate Zach DeNike (Old Tappan, N.J.) hauled in four receptions for a career-high 40 yards.
- Conor Crotty (Saratoga Springs, N.Y.) led the squad with 45 yards receiving.
- Senior Chris Lipscomb (West Springfield, Mass.) punted six times for 249 yards. One of his punts went 60 yards, while three were planted inside the 20-yard line, and another went for a touchback.
- Junior Zachary Poirier (Pawcatuck, Conn.) paced the defensive unit with 10 tackles (six solo, four unassisted).
- Christian Martinez (Tariffville, Conn.) compiled six tackles (0.5 for a loss), and two pass breakups.
- Freshman Jesse Simoni (East Greenbush, N.Y.) notched a career-high five tackles (four solo), a pair of pass breakups, and one interception – which came in the right corner of the end zone with less than five minutes to play in the third.
- Junior defensive end Ryan Bentz (Epping, N.H.) registered four tackles (two solo, two assisted, 1.5 sacks) and one forced fumble.
- William Rivera (Orangeburg, N.Y.) and Grayson Maddux (Park City, Utah) both blocked punts in the loss.
ST. LAWRENCE OFFENSE/DEFENSE/SPECIAL TEAMS
- St. Lawrence limited the Gulls to a season-low 153 yards of total offense.
- Offensively, the Saints accumulated 398 yards – 162 on the ground and 236 through the air.
- Rodrick Payne (Buffalo, N.Y.) logged his first career 100-yard rushing game with 114 yards total on 21 attempts.
- Sean Richardson (East Syracuse, N.Y.) threw for two touchdowns (one interception), and also completed 24 of his 32 passes (75-percent).
- Ferraro led all receivers in the contest with eight catches for 85 yards and one TD.
- Chyron Brown-Wallace (Rochester, N.Y.), Alec Dietsch (Clarence, N.Y.), and Skyler Williamson (Canton, Conn.) tied for the team-lead in tackles with eight apiece.
- Dietsch also added a pass breakup, while Brown-Wallace had one sack, and Willamson recorded 1.5 tackles for a loss and a fumble recovery.
- Leigh finished the game with three assisted tackles, 0.5 sacks, and his 92-yard pick six.
- Scott Arens (Centerport, N.Y.) had two pass breakups (team-high).
- The Saints are currently receiving votes in the D3football.com national top-25 poll.
Endicott (0-3) opens up conference play versus Nichols College next Saturday at 12 p.m. as a part of Homecoming Weekend. St. Lawrence (3-0) travels to RPI for its first league game of the season next Saturday at 12 p.m.