BEVERLY, Mass. – The Endicott football team fell to Framingham State University, 41-10, on Saturday afternoon in the season opener for both teams at Hempstead Stadium.
Endicott opened the scoring on a 34-yard field goal from John Glaser (East Moriches, N.Y.) with 58-seconds remaining in the opening stanza, but it was all Rams after that as the visitors scored 34 straight points to lock up the victory.
Junior running back Quron Wright (Worcester, Mass.) highlighted the Framingham State offense with 169 yards rushing (22 attempts, 7.7 average) and a touchdown. Rufus Rushins (Lynn, Mass.) also punched home two scores on 58 yards rushing, while Adam Wojenski (Stratford, Conn.) paced the aerial attack with 177 yards and two touchdowns.
- Joe Kalosky (Plymouth, Conn.) completed 17 passes for 173 yards.
- Zach DeNike (Old Tappan, N.J.) hauled in a game-high six catches for 37 yards.
- Anthony Whiteley (Pittsfield, Mass.) caught four passes for 67 yards and also gained 21 yards on three rushing attempts.
- Lavante Wiggins (Pittsfield, Mass.) punched home the only touchdown for the Gulls on the day with a two-yard plunge with 14:02 left in the fourth (34-10).
- William Rivera (Orangeburg, N.Y.) paced the defense with a game-high / career-high 15 tackles (five solo, 10 assisted).
- Allen Gibson (Seymour, Conn.) ranked second on the team with nine tackles (four solo, five assisted), alongside one forced fumble.
- Endicott's defensive line trio of Ayinde Johnson (Norwalk, Conn.), Connor Schinderman (Chappaqua, N.Y.), and Geoffrey Paige (Abington, Mass.) combined for 15 tackles, which included 2.5 for a loss (seven yards total).
- Jesse Simoni (East Greenbush, N.Y.) and Noah Fearnley (Orange, Conn.) rounded out the defensive highlights with an interception and a fumble recovery, respectively.
- Brett Fox (Niantic, Conn.) shined on special teams as the senior punter compiled 229 yards on six attempts (38.2 average, 51 long, two inside-20).
FOR FRAMINGHAM STATE
- Zakery Walker (Ayer, Mass.) passed for one touchdown and 56 yards on four out of five attempts in addition to rushing the ball for 36 yards on seven carries.
- Mike Calicchio (Chelmsford, Mass.) caught two touchdown passes on five catches and 101 yards. His catch of 37 yards in the first quarter matched Napoleon Miller (Boston, Mass.) for the game-high.
- Miller's only other catch was a 15-yard TD reception at 11:07 of the third (27-3).
- Nathan Fleming (Windham, Conn.) guided the defense with a team-high 10 tackles (seven solo, three assisted), two tackles for a loss, and one forced fumble.
- Cody Wlasuk (Peabody, Mass.) had two tackles and tallied one interception, while Rashaun Rivers (Westfield, Mass.) produced two tackles and a game-high two pass breakups.
- As a team, Framingham State held Endicott to 262 yards of total offense (220 passing, 42 rushing).
- The Rams also went 7-for-13 (54%) on third down, and won the time of possession battle 31:54 to 28:00.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Framingham State has won its last five season openers.
Endicott (0-1) travels to Bridgewater State University next Saturday for a non-conference matchup at 12 PM. Framingham State hosts Cortland State on September 9 at 12 PM.
(Photo Credit - Allison Moore)