BEVERLY, Mass. – The Endicott men's volleyball team claimed a 3-0 (25-17, 25-21, 25-21) league victory over Newbury College on "Senior Day" inside MacDonald Gymnasium on Saturday afternoon.
Prior to today's match, seniors Cameron Little (San Diego, Calif.), John Osborne (Freehold, N.J.), Dan Seaver (Milford, Mass.), Chandler Tayek (Rolling Hills Estates, Calif.), and Alex Wasik (Milford, Mass.) were all honored for their contributions towards the men's volleyball program.
In the Gulls' 25-17 first set victory, the seniors shined as Seaver contributed an all-around stat line of two kills, one service ace, and five digs. Wasik also powered the attack with three kills (.333), while Little ran the offense with 12 assists, to go along with a service ace. On the defensive end, Tayek recorded two digs to solidify play from the back row.
The Gulls then went on to take set two (25-17) behind a match-high 14 kills (.333), which included a set-high five putaways from Troy Riorden (Fairport, N.Y.), before closing out the sweep. In set three (25-21), Endicott fended off three separate rallies from Newbury late in the set prior its match-clinching 6-2 run that broke open a 19-19 tie. Riorden fueled the spurt with one kill and two service aces, while Seaver also added a kill to help the Gulls improve to 6-0 in league play.
Overall in the match, Riorden led all student-athletes with a career-high 15 kills (.367), to go along with four service aces, and two digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Endicott is now 26-10 against Newbury in the all-time series, which dates back to 2000.
- Wasik finished with seven kills (.294) to bump his 2016 season total to 137. Wasik's previous career-best in a season was 133, which he set last year.
- Seaver compiled eight kills, a .438 hitting percentage, and six digs in the win.
- Little dished out a match-high 38 assists; it's the eighth time this season Little has registered 30 or more assists in a match.
- Tayek wrapped up his "Senior Day" match with five digs and one kill.
- Daniel Toth (Glenwood, N.J.) rounded out the list of highlights for Endicott with six kills (.455), three block assists, two digs and one service ace.
FOR THE FOES
- Xavier Brown-Rose (Wilbraham, Mass.) notched a team-high 12 kills (.250), while Wade Robidoux (Agawam, Mass.) added eight kills (.235) and five digs in the loss.
- Skyelar Whitehead (Belchertown, Mass.) and Stephen Watson (Monterey, Calif.) also contributed five kills apiece to the Nighthawks' attack.
- Watson ranked second on the team in digs with six, while Zach Kaufman (Newton, Mass.) was first with eight.
Endicott (11-8, 6-0 NECC) hosts Regis on Monday, March 7 inside MacDonald Gymnasium at 7 p.m. Newbury (3-16, 1-6) returns to action on Thursday, March 17 against Daniel Webster, on the road, at 7 p.m.