BRIDGEWATER, Mass. — The Endicott women's basketball team defeated Norwich, 55-44, during the consolation game of The Cave Classic hosted by Bridgewater State.
The Gulls took an early 7-0 lead in the opening minutes of the first quarter and continued to build that lead to 35-20 by the end of the second quarter.
Norwich responded in the third quarter with an 8-0 run to cut the deficit to 10 points, before Endicott upped the pressure and extended their lead to 48-35 with one quarter remaining to be played in the contest.
The Cadets continued to battle throughout the fourth quarter and closed the gap to within 10 points but the Gulls were able to secure the 55-44 victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Hannah Kiernan (Wenham, Mass.) and Emily Pratt (Gardner, Mass.) led the team in points with 14 each, while Gabriella Coppola (Watertown, Mass.) scored 12.
- Kiernan and Coppola led the team in assists with four each.
- Keirnan also led the team in rebounds with six, while four other Endicott student-athletes pulled down five boards each.
- Coppola and Kiernan each had three steals on the night.
- Four student-athletes recorded two blocks throughout the contest.
- Keirnan was named to the All-Tournament team.
- Head coach Brittany Hutchinson became the first coach in program history to record 100 career wins.
FOR THE FOES
- Arianna Harrison (Vernon, Vt.) led the team offensively with 20 points.
- Harrison also led the team defensively with 10 rebounds, while Shyann Josler (Thetford Center, Vt.) was close behind with nine.
- Josler dished out a team-high five assists.
Endicott (1-1, 0-0 CCC) hosts Keene State on Tuesday, Nov. 21 at 5 p.m. in MacDonald Gymnasium.
Norwich (0-3, 0-0 GNAC) faces Bay Path at the Hockenbury Classic on on Friday, Dec. 1 at 6 p.m.
(Photo credit - David Le '10)