QUINCY, Mass. – The Endicott women's basketball team edged Eastern Nazarene, 61-59, on Thursday night at the Lahue Physical Education Center.
The game was close from the start as the Lions held a slight 12-11 advantage through the first quarter.
Both teams traded the lead several times throughout the second frame, but the score was tied 25-25 heading into halftime.
Eastern Nazarene went up by as many as five points midway through the third period. The Gulls, however, upped the pressure and found themselves with a 45-43 lead when Mikaela Rogers (Haverhill, Mass.) made a jump shot with eight seconds remaining in the quarter.
The Lions attempted a rally in the final quarter and even tied the game up three separate times, but Endicott held on to secure the 61-59 victory.
Emily Pratt (Gardner, Mass.) led the team in points with 13, while Rogers pulled down a team-high seven rebounds throughout the contest.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Cassandra Stapelfeld (Brookline, N.H.) tallied 11 points, while Gabriella Coppola (Watertown, Mass.), Hannah Kiernan (Wenham, Mass.), and Rogers were close behind with 10 each.
- Sam Charette (Wenham, Mass.) had a team-high three steals.
- Coppola, Pratt, and Catie Lipscomb (West Springfield, Mass.) all recorded four rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Alyssa Cosio Murillo (Santa Barbara, Calif.) led the offense with 24 points.
- Michelle Detwiler (Elkhart, Ind.) recorded nine rebounds for the Lions, while Shelby Holmes (Seeley Lake, Mont.) and Seniesha Sekaquaptewa (Scottsdale, Ariz.) each had eight.
- Eastern Nazarene held a 40-29 rebound advantage.
Endicott (8-7, 6-3 CCC) travels to the University of New England on Saturday, Jan. 20 at 1:00 p.m. Eastern Nazarene (8-8, 2-7 CCC) travels to Western New England for a 1:00 p.m. contest on Saturday, Jan. 20.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)