BEVERLY, Mass. – The Endicott women's soccer team was defeated, 3-1, by Tufts at Hempstead Stadium on Wednesday night.
Tufts jumped out to an early lead when Elizabeth Reed (Lynnfield, Mass.) netted a goal at the 1:03 mark.
Mary Verneris (Hamden, Conn.) tied the game up at 1-1 at 27:00, when she tallied her eighth goal of the season on a penalty kick.
The Jumbos regained the lead when Sophie Lloyd (Los Altos, Calif.) found the back of the net with some help from Alessandra Sadler (Atkinson, N.H.).
At 62:07, Tufts went up 3-1 when Reed scored her second of the game.
The Gulls continued to pressure offensively as time wound down but Emily Bowers (Needham, Mass.) was able to make a few key stops to secure a Tufts victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Shelby Elwell (Litchfield, Conn.) shifted to 6-2-1 on the season and recorded four saves.
- Verneris paced the offense with four shots, while Sharlotte Pernice (West Springfield, Mass.) was close behind with three.
FOR THE FOES
- Bowers improved to 6-2-3 on the season with the win and made four saves.
- The Jumbos held the slight 14-13 shot advantage.
- Reed led the offense with six shots.
Endicott (7-4-1, 4-0-1 CCC) travels to Curry for a conference matchup on Saturday, October 14 at 2 p.m. Tufts (6-2-3, 4-2-1 NESCAC) is at Bates on Saturday, October 14 for a 12 p.m. contest.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)