SAN ANTONIO, Texas — The Endicott baseball team fell to No. 4/4 nationally ranked Trinity (Tex.), 14-12, on Saturday afternoon.
The Gulls jumped out to a 4-0 lead over the first 1 1/2 innings of play before Trinity scored nine in the bottom of the second to take a 9-4 advantage.
From there, the Tigers tacked on five more runs to make Endicott's deficit 14-5 at the end of the sixth.
However, despite the run nine-run deficit, Endicott fought back with seven runs over the next three innings and put the go-ahead run at the plate before Trinity closed the door on the contest.
Junior James Nittoli (San Antonio, Texas) earned the win for the Tigers with four strikeouts and four runs allowed in five innings, while Jeff Lonnecker (Bellaire, Texas) was credited with the save.
Liam Burke (Westwood, Mass.) got the start and the loss for the Gulls in one-plus innings of work. He struck out one and allowed five runs.
The Gulls were led offensively by Christian Allaire (Sandown, N.H.) (3-for-6, three RBI, one double), John Duffy (Stratford, Conn.) (3-for-6, two RBI, one double), Dan Cacciola (Saugus, Mass.) (2-for-5, two RBI) and Kyle Brennan (Wallingford, Conn.) (2-for-4, two RBI).
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Trinity is ranked No. 4 in both the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper and D3baseball preseason national polls.
- This afternoon's game was the second meeting between the two programs.
- Trinity won the NCAA Division III National Championship in 2016.
- Allaire and Duffy both recorded their first career hits and first career multi-hit games.
- Logan Morrison (Temecula, Calif.) and Blake Johnson (Houston, Texas) each had three RBI for the Tigers.
Endicott (0-2) takes on Trinity (6-1) tomorrow at 1:00 PM (EST).
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)