SPRINGFIELD, Mass. — The Endicott men's basketball team was handed its first Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) loss, 74-70, at Western New England University Saturday afternoon inside the Alumni Healthful Living Center.
Endicott led by as much as five with 14:50 left in the opening stanza, but the Gulls found themselves trailing at the half, 45-40, for just the fourth time this season and first time in conference play.
The Gulls' four-game win streak came to an abrupt end as senior forward Chris Lipscomb's (West Springfield, Mass.) chance for the go-ahead trey with three seconds left was off the mark and Western New England sealed the deal with a pair of free throws with two ticks on the clock.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Gulls are still 11-6 overall and 5-4 on the road in the all-time series against Western New England.
- Endicott had previously won the past nine head-to-head matchups until today, including a 72-59 victory in the most recent meeting before today on 02/20/16 in Beverly, Mass.
- Endicott placed three student-athletes in double figures as senior guard Kamahl Walker (Worcester, Mass.) led the way with a game-high 20 points.
- Senior guard Max Motroni (West Warwick, R.I.) chipped in 18 points, five rebounds, and two assists, followed by 10 points and five rebounds from freshman guard Keith Brown (Pelham, N.H.).
- Senior forward Daquan Sampson (Germantown, Md.) grabbed a team-best eight rebounds and blocked a game-high two shots.
- Lipscomb pulled down seven rebounds
- Western New England scored 18 points off 16 Gulls' turnovers.
- The Gulls dished out a season-low four assists.
FOR THE FOES
- The Golden Bears snapped a nine-game losing streak with today's victory to also earn their first win on their home court (1-3) of the season.
- Senior guard Mike Gelineau (Waltham, Mass.) led a cast of five scorers in double-figures with his team-leading 17 points.
- Senior forward Daniel Silva (Seekonk, Mass.) added 15 points, while sophomore guard Mikey Pettway (Bridgeport, Conn.) chipped in 12 points.
- Silva matched Walker for a game-high three steals, while Pettway dished out a game-high five helpers.
- Graduate student guard Luis Agrait (South Hadley, Mass.) and sophomore guard/forward Tyler Johnson (Vernon, Conn.) each tallied 10 points apiece.
- Johnson also grabbed a team-high six caroms off the glass.
- Western New England was up by as much as 11 with 17:57 remaining in the game.
The Gulls (10-3, 5-1 CCC) travel to Newport, R.I. to take on host Salve Regina at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, January 11th.Western New England (2-10, 1-5 CCC) is on the road at Roger Williams at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, January 11th.