MILTON, Mass. – The Endicott men's lacrosse team suffered an 11-10 loss to Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) opposition Curry on Saturday afternoon at the Walter M. Katz Field.
Endicott trailed 5-3 at halftime, rallied to score the first four goals of the third quarter to take a two-goal lead at 7-5 but the Colonels responded with a four-goal streak of their own to regain the lead at 9-7 going into the final quarter. Endicott sophomore midfielder Andrew Soucy (Andover, Mass.), who had already tallied three points on two goals and an assist at that point in the game, scored two more times and assisted on another goal over the final 15 minutes but Curry saw junior midfielder Devin Newell (Medford, Mass.) and sophomore midfielder Andrew DeLeary (Wakefield, Mass.) find the back of the cage for critical insurance goals in the fourth quarter.
Soucy finished the game with four goals and two assists while sophomore attacker Nick Arcadipane (Groveland, Mass.) added three goals and an assist to help pace the Gulls offense. Sophomore attack Will Clark (Burnt Hills, N.Y.) also scored twice in the loss.
Curry saw four different players scored multiple goals led by DeLeary who tallied three goals and an assist with senior midfielder Tom Cashin (Boxford, Mass.) scoring twice and adding an assist. Newell and fellow midfielder MJ Urbano (Wakefield, Mass.) both had two goals apiece.
The Colonels goaltending was split between junior Josh Teller (Milford, Conn.) and freshman Jake Sangiovanni (Centerport, N.Y.) who combined to make 10 saves. Teller earned the win (8-2) as he totaled 35:27 minutes in the cage with seven goals allowed on 13 shots in net.
Curry held a 15-to-10 face-off win advantage thanks to a 15-for-25 performance at the dot by junior face-off man Zach White (Milford, Conn.). White also had seven groundballs, one better than Cashin and senior defenseman Chris Bronander (Glen Ridge, N.J.) who added two caused turnovers.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Endicott dropped to 24-2 all-time against Curry. It was their first loss to the Colonels since 1996.
- Myles Horn (Pocasset, Mass.) scored a man-up goal with 11 seconds remaining in regulation to pull Endicott to within one.
- Patrick Dean (Westhampton, N.Y.) suffered the loss (4-9) as he made 13 saves.
- Junior Hayden Souza (West Hartford, Conn.) and freshman Jack Sutherland (Sudbury, Mass.) both had a team-high six groundballs as they helped the Gulls to a 42-33 advantage.
FOR THE FOES
- Matt Serra (Haverhill, Mass.) had a goal and an assist in the Curry win.
- Matthew Scahill (Gales Ferry, Conn.) also tallied a goal.
Endicott (4-9, 4-2 CCC) will host Middlebury on Tuesday, April 17 for a 6:00 PM face-off. Curry (8-4, 3-2 CCC) aims for their fourth straight win when they visit the University of New England on Wednesday, April 18 for a 4:00 PM start.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)