CANTON, N.Y. – The Endicott women's ice hockey team set the tone early on in its contest against SUNY Canton with a three-goal first period to claim an eventual 5-1 victory over the Kangaroos on Friday evening.
Freshmen Caroline Hughes (Andover, Mass.) and Meredith Vlachos (East Bridgewater, Mass.) buried back-to-back goals just 19-seconds apart – and less than a minute and a half into the game – to give the Gulls a quick 2-0 advantage, while Maggie Layo (Sandwich, Mass.) capped the scoring outburst at 13:45 and Endicott never looked back.
Lexi Klein (Shoreview, Minn.) added her fourth tally of the season at 17:31 of the second and Rachel Lustenring (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) notched her third goal of the year 1:06 into the third to round out the list of goal scorers for the Gulls.
Endicott freshman Vendela Jonsson (Linkoping, Sweden) made 24 saves to improve to 7-5-3 overall in net, while SUNY Canton's Illie Berisha (Lake Ariel, Pa.) stopped 28 shots in the loss (1-7-1).
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Layo leads the team with seven goals this season.
- Hughes also dished out two assists to register a career-high three points in the win.
- The Gulls tied their single-period-high goals mark in the first. Endicott has now scored three goals in a single-period three times this season (SUNY Canton – 1/29/16, Salve Regina – 1/9/16, JWU – 11/6/15).
- Endicott has outscored SUNY Canton, 9-2, in its two meetings in 2015-16. The Gulls are 2-0 in the all-time series.
FOR THE FOES
- Whitney Bernier (Newport, Vt.) broke up the shutout with 2:19 left to play in the contest.
- Bernier registered her third goal of the season on assists from Reagan Lynn (Chicago, Ill.) and Anna Lagzdina (Ozolnieki, Latvia).
Endicott (9-6-3, 5-1-1 CHC) completes its two-game road trip versus SUNY Canton (4-13-1, 4-2-1 CHC) tomorrow at 2 p.m.