BRISTOL, R.I. - In a matchup between the two undefeated teams remaining in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play, the Endicott women's volleyball took down Roger Williams 3-1 on Saturday afternoon. With the win, Endicott improves to 17-11 (7-0 CCC) on the season while Roger Williams drops to 15-7 (6-1 CCC).
After Endicott claimed a tight first set 25-23, the hosts would come back to claim the second by a 25-21 score to even the match at one set a piece. The Gulls would then take the third by a 25-19 score in what would prove to be the biggest margin of victory in the match. Tied 21-21 in the fourth, Endicott saw senior Tori McIntyre (San Diego, Calif.) rattle off four straight kills to claim the set 25-21, and the match, 3-1.
Endicott, now 7-0 in conference play, sits alone atop the CCC standings with two conference matches remaining. The Gulls play host to Nichols on Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. before traveling to Wentworth on Saturday to end the regular season.
BEYOND THE BOX
- The Gulls held a strong advantage from the service line, holding a 7-2 aces to error ratio for the match, compared to four aces and five errors for the hosts.
- Endicott was led by sophomore Emma Mancini (Lynnfield, Mass.) who posted a career-high 18 kills in the victory. The pin hitter recorded the 18 kills on a career-high 54 attempts as she also led the team with four aces while chipping in seven digs.
- McIntyre and junior Lauren Sheehan (Bainbridge Island, Wash.) each recorded 12 kills in the victory. McIntyre's 12 kills came on 36 attempts with just three errors (.250) to go with 15 digs. Sheehan's 12 kills came on 37 swings while she chipped in two assist blocks and two timely assists, one coming on the four kill streak by McIntyre to end the match.
- Libero Erika Trudon (Coventry, Conn.) recorded 17 digs to lead the defensive effort in the win as the Gulls held a 75-71 advantage in digs.
- Setter Mareena Clotfelter (Poulsbo, Wash.) posted a team-best 22 assists to go with 11 digs and three aces. Fellow setter Zoey Gifford (Natick, Mass.) filled the box score, recording 18 assists, 11 digs and four kills.
- Endicott is now 17-16 all-time against Roger Williams. The two programs have combined to each of the previous 10 CCC championships dating back to 2006.
FOR THE FOES
- The Hawks received a pair of strong offensive performances from senior outside Kristen Boyer (Ephrata, Pa.) and sophomore middle Molly Quilty (Duxbury, Mass.). Boyer recorded a match-best 20 kills on 50 attempts to go with 10 digs while Quilty hit a match-high .480 (13-1-25) and posted six total blocks to lead all players.
- Setter Julia Fields (Cortlandt Manor, N.Y.) tallied 46 assists in the setback to go with seven digs while libero Maria Batas (Merrick, N.Y.) picked up 30 digs.
Endicott hosts Nichols on Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. and will travel to Wentworth on Saturday to end regular season play. Roger Williams hosts UNE on Tuesday at 5:30 p.m.