WENHAM, Mass. – The Endicott baseball team swept Gordon College in a conference doubleheader on Monday evening by scores of 8-3 and 5-2 at J. Tec White Field.
GAME ONE: Endicott 8, Gordon 3
Tied 1-1 in the top of the fifth, Endicott erupted for three runs in the frame to take a 4-1 advantage. Anthony Serina (Portsmouth, R.I.) notched an RBI single to left field, while Steve Morganelli (Milford, Mass.) drew a bases loaded walk and Joseph Deutsch (Fairfield, Conn.) was hit by a pitch to account for the scoring.
Gordon answered with two runs in the bottom half of the fifth that cut into the deficit at 4-3, but the Gulls responded with four runs over the final two innings to secure the game one victory. Mike Kochiss (Fairfield, Conn.) highlighted the offensive outburst for Endicott with a two-run single to left center in the seventh.
Colby Morris (Newburyport, Mass.) was credited with the victory (2-3), as the senior sidearmer went four innings, yielded two hits, one run (earned) and two walks alongside three strikeouts. Alexander Mandrus (Acton, Mass.) did not earn a save in the seventh with the Gulls up five runs, although his 1-2-3 shutdown performance – which included a strikeout – was noteworthy as it helped Endicott lock up the win.
Matt Amore (Pequannock, N.J.) suffered the loss (1-4) via 2 1/3 innings, one hit, three runs (all earned), five free passes, and one punchout.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Serina finished game one going 2-for-4 with one run scored and two RBI. Along with his RBI single in the fifth, Serina also had a RBI double in the sixth.
- Kochiss and Michael DeDonato (Chelmsford, Mass.) both scored two runs each for the Gulls.
FOR THE FOES
- Dean Demers (Sandy Hook, Conn.) and Chris Leavitt (East Bridgewater, Mass.) both had multi-hit games.
GAME TWO: Endicott 5, Gordon 2
Endicott raced out to a 5-0 lead in game two before holding off a late rally from Gordon to complete the sweep.
In the bottom of the fifth, the Fighting Scots drove home two runs on a ground out and an RBI single by Matt Moffat (Stratford, Conn.) to make it a 5-2 contest. Gordon then brought the game-winning run to the plate in the seventh with the bases loaded and two outs, but Will Bryant (Cumberland, Maine) induced a warning track power fly ball to right field for the game's final out.
Joseph Oriola (Sandwich, Mass.) earned the win (3-3) on five innings, three hits, two runs (both earned), zero walks and a game-high six strikeouts. Bryant also picked up the save (3) with two shutout innings out of the pen (one BB, two K).
Morgan Hyde (Thomson, Ga.) was dealt the loss in a complete game effort (7 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 5 K).
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Endicott is 30-8 in the all-time series against Gordon after today's sweep.
- Oriola fell one strikeout shy of tying his career-high of seven, which he set in his first collegiate appearance against Eastern Connecticut State on March 13, 2017.
- Kochiss and Serina both had two hits and two RBI from the third and fourth spots of the order, respectively.
- Morganelli knocked in the first run of game two with a run-producing single through the left side of the infield in the second inning.
FOR THE FOES
- Endicott limited Gordon to just three hits in game two.
- Matt Paulsen (Latham, N.Y.) and Leavitt both went 1-for-3 with one run scored to highlight the Fighting Scots.
Endicott (17-15, 9-5 CCC) hosts Tufts University on Wednesday, April 26 at 3:30 PM. Gordon (8-19, 3-9 CCC) welcomes Salem State University to J. Tec White Field on Wednesday at 3:30 PM.