BEVERLY, Mass. – The No. 23 nationally ranked Endicott baseball team fell to the University of Southern Maine by a score of 8-3 on Wednesday afternoon at North Field.
The Huskies got on the board in the top of the first inning but the Gulls responded in the bottom of the second with a tally of their own to tie it up at 1-1. Brad Rebello (Bellingham, Mass.) got on base with a walk and then advanced to second before Hunter Boyce (Bangor, Maine) singled to right center to send him home.
Southern Maine would go on to score seven unanswered runs over the remainder of the contest to secure the win.
Endicott attempted a rally in the bottom of the ninth and saw three runs score but it wasn't enough..
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Gulls are ranked No. 23 in the latest American Baseball Coaches Association (ABCA)/Collegiate Baseball NCAA Division III Poll.
- Michael DeDonato (Chelmsford, Mass) finished the game 2-for-5 at the plate with a double and two RBI.
- Will Ferreira (Nantucket, Mass.) got the start on the mound and pitched just over four innings in the loss (1-1).
FOR THE FOES
- Andrew Hillier (Bangor, Maine) was 2-for-3 at the plate with a triple and an RBI.
- Zach Quintal (Eliot, Maine) added four RBI.
- Colton Lawrence (Farmington, Maine) came in to pitch during the fourth inning and gave up zero runs on two hits to earn his first win of the season (1-0).
No. 23 Endicott (8-2) hosts MIT tomorrow at 3:30 PM. Southern Maine (7-5) visits Rhode Island College on Saturday, March 31 for a doubleheader starting at 12 PM.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)