AUBURNDALE, Fla. – The Endicott baseball team started its spring break trip to Florida with a split as the Gulls defeated UW- Stevens Point by a score of 10-0 and then fell to SUNY New Paltz, 8-3 at the Lake Myrtle Athletic Complex on Sunday.
The Gulls took a 1-0 lead in the fourth inning and never looked back as they cruised to a 10-0 victory over UW- Stevens Point on Sunday morning.
In the top of the fifth inning, Endicott added four more runs, highlighted by a two-RBI double from Dan Cacciola (Saugus, Mass.).
Endicott added two runs in both the sixth and eighth innings and one in the ninth to secure the 10-0 win.
Kevin Gould (Rollinsford, N.H.) earned the start and the win (1-0) on the mound for the Gulls. In eight innings of work he struck out 11 batters and allowed only four hits.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Leading the Gulls offensively were McDonald (2-for-4, double, RBI), Kyle Brennan (2-for-4, double), Nickolas Perkins (Nashua, N.H.) (2-for-4, double, 2 RBI), and John Duffy (Stratford, Conn.) (2-for-4, RBI).
- Cacciola finished the game with three RBI.
- Nicholas Borkowski (Southington, Conn.) finished the game for the Gulls and allowed only one hit in the ninth inning.
SUNY New Paltz jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the third inning but the Gulls responded in the fifth with two runs to take the 2-1 advantage highlighted by a double down the left line from Duffy and a single to center from Benjamin Schena (Cheshire, Conn.).
By the end of the seventh inning, the Hawks had managed to regain the lead by a score of 6-2.
Endicott saw Christian Allaire (Sandown, N.H.) score on a sacrifice fly by McDonald to cut the deficit to 6-3 but SUNY New Paltz tacked on two more runs in the bottom of the eighth to secure the 8-3 victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Leading the Gulls offensively were Schena (2-for-2, RBI) and Allaire (2-for-3).
- For the Hawks, Matthew McGee (Monroe, N.Y.) went 3-for-5 with two doubles, a triple and an RBI.
- Joseph Oriola (Pembroke, Mass.) got the start on the mound and struck out four batters in four innings of work. Alexander Mandrus (Acton, Mass.) shifted to 1-2 overall on the season after coming in during the sixth inning.
- The Hawks' James Magnuson (Northport, Mass.) improved to 1-1 on the season.
Endicott (3-3) returns to the Lake Myrtle Athletic Complex for a 10 AM contest against St. Norbert on Monday, March 18.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)