LAKELAND, Fla. – The Endicott baseball team finished out its spring break trip with a sweep during a conference doubleheader against Nichols College on Saturday afternoon at Henley Field in Lakeland, Fla. The Gulls picked up an 11-8 victory during the first game and then blanked the Bison, 8-0, in the second game.
Nichols jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the third on hits from Christian Naccari (Ossining, N.Y.) and Chris Anderson (Naugatuck, Conn.).
The Gulls responded with two tallies during both the third and fourth innings to gain the 4-2 advantage, highlighted by a double from Christian Allaire (Sandown, N.H.).
Endicott tacked on three more runs in the sixth to stretch the lead to 7-2 before the Bison attempted a rally in the top of the seventh. Nichols saw four runs score off a single from Kyle Bouchard (Fall River, Mass.) and a double from Anderson to cut the deficit to 7-6.
In the bottom of the seventh, Matt Bald (De Pere, Wisc.) got the Gulls started with a bunt and then advanced to second on a single from Kyle Brennan (Wallingford, Conn.). Endicott went on to add three runs to make the score 10-6.
The Bison wouldn't go down without a fight, however, as they put up two runs in the eighth.
Endicott scored once more in the bottom of the eighth and then held Nichols scoreless in its last at-bat to secure the 11-8 victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Leading the Gulls offensively were Dan Cacciola (Saugus, Mass.) (2-for-3, 3 RBI, 2B), John Duffy (Stratford, Conn.) (3-for-4, one run), and Bald (3-for-5, 2 RBI, one run).
- Kevin Gould (Rollinsford, N.H.) got the start and the win (2-0) on the mound for the Gulls with 11 strikeouts in 6.2 innings pitched.
- Victor Molle (Peabody, Mass.) earned his first save of the season.
- Justin Hurley (Burlington, Mass.) was credited with the loss for the Bison.
Endicott took an early 1-0 lead in the first inning and never looked back as the topped the Bison, 8-0, in the second game. Bald kicked off the inning with a double to right center before advancing to third on a fly out by Cacciola. Bald made it home on a ground out by Brendan McDonald (Quincy, Mass.).
The Gulls exploded for five runs in the second inning and one in the third to make it a 7-0 game.
In the bottom of the sixth Bald recorded his second double of the game with two outs to get on base. He then scored on a single from Cacciola to give the Gulls the eventual 8-0 win.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Zachary Sultar (South Windsor, Conn.) improved to 2-0 on the season with the win on the mound. He struck out four batters while allowing four hits in five innings.
- Alexander Mandrus (Acton, Mass.), Joseph Brown (Poultney, Vt.), and Cooper Anibal (Bedford, N.H.) also saw time on the hill for the Gulls.
- McDonald and Allaire were both credited with two RBI throughout the contest.
Endicott (7-5, 2-0 CCC) returns to North Field for a 3:30 PM game against Southern Maine on Wednesday, March 27. Nichols (8-7, 0-2 CCC) travels to Anna Maria on Tuesday. March 26 at 3 PM.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)