BROCKTON, Mass. – The Endicott baseball team traveled to Wentworth for a Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) doubleheader on Saturday afternoon at Campanelli Stadium and the Gulls recorded a 14-4 victory in the first game and an 8-3 win during the second contest.
ENDICOTT 14, WENTWORTH 4
The Gulls took a 3-0 lead in the top of the third inning. Brendan McDonald (Quincy, Mass.) and Kyle Brennan (Wallingford, Conn.) both were hit by pitches to get on base and then scored on a double to center field from Jordan Carvalho (Rehoboth, Mass.). Carvalho then rounded home when Ryan Prosser (Holden, Mass.) doubled to right field.
Endicott added one more run in the top of the sixth before the Leopards cut that lead to 4-3 in the bottom of the inning.
Wentworth then tied the game at 4-4 in the seventh inning but the Gulls responded well in the top of the eight when Dan Cacciola (Saugus, Mass.) walked, stole second, and then scored on a double from Brennan.
Endicott exploded for nine runs in its final at-bat, highlight by a grand slam home run from Anthony Macchia (Ridgefield, Conn.).
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Leading the Gulls offensively were Macchia (3-for-5, 4 RBI, HR) and Brennan (2-for-4, 3 RBI, 2 doubles).
- Kevin Gould (Rollinsford, N.H.) got the start on the mound for the Gulls (6 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO), while Liam Burke (Westwood, Mass.) was credited with the win to improve to 1-1 on the season (2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO).
- Caleb Eaton (East Hampstead, N.H.) shifted to 0-1 on the season for Wentworth (3 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO).
ENDICOTT 8, WENTWORTH 3
Endicott jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the first inning before the Leopards saw two runs of their own score in the bottom of the fourth to tie the game up.
Wentworth took the slight 3-2 advantage in the seventh when Dan Mitchell (Avon, Mass.) doubled to left center and then make it home on a single up the middle from Aidan French (Chicago, Ill.).
During the eighth inning, the Gulls responded with two runs on a Prosser double to regain the lead and then added three more runs in the top of the ninth when Brennan hit a bases-loaded triple to secure the eventual 8-3 victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Brennan led the way for the Gulls as he went 4-for-5 at the plate with five RBI and two triples.
- Zachary Sultar (South Windsor, Conn.) pitched the first six innings for Endicott (4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 5 SO).
- Joseph Oriola (Pembroke, Mass.) was credited with the win (1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO), while Victor Molle (Peabody, Mass.) earned his second save of the season (2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO).
- Benjamin Schena (Cheshire, Conn.), Matt Bald (De Pere, Wisc.), and Cacciola each had a stolen base during the contest.
- Ben Rexford (Lancaster, N.H.) shifted to 0-3 on the season for Wentworth with the loss.
Endicott (13-8, 5-1 CCC) hosts MIT for a 1 PM nonconference matchup on Sunday, April 7. Wentworth (4-17, 1-5 CCC) hosts Pine Manor for a doubleheader on Sunday, April 7 starting at 12 PM.
(Photo Credit - Nicolle Holcomb)