BOSTON, Mass. – The Endicott baseball team fell, 13-4, to UMass Boston on Monday night at Monan Park.
The Beacons jumped out to an early 5-0 lead in the first inning and followed up with three runs in the second and one run in the third to extend that lead to 9-0.
UMass Boston saw one more run cross home plate in the bottom of the fifth to take the 10-0 advantage before the Gulls responded in the seventh inning.
The Beacons continued to add to their lead with three runs in the eighth inning to make it a 13-3 game.
In their last at-bat, the Gulls scored one run after capitalizing on a walk, a wild pitch, a passed ball and finally an RBI ground out from Schena but it wasn't enough as UMass Boston ultimately came away with the 13-4 victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Kyle Wollman (East Berlin, Conn.) got the start on the mound for the Gulls and shifted to 2-2 on the season with the loss.
- Seven other Endicott pitchers saw time out of the bullpen throughout the contest.
- Ben Gottesman (Acton, Mass.) improved to 4-0 overall with the win for the Beacons (6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 7 SO).
- Leading the way offensively for the Gulls was Schena who went 2-for-5 with two RBI.
- Endicott leads the all-time series with UMass Boston, 8-6.
Endicott (21-16) begins CCC Tournament play with a contest against Gordon on Thursday, May 2 at 3 PM. UMass Boston (23-10) hosts UMass Dartmouth at 3:30 PM on Tuesday, April 30.
(Photo Credit - Michael Rotiroti)