BEVERLY, Mass. – Husson University senior running back John Smith (Fayetteville, Ga.) compiled a single-game program record 301 rushing yards and also scored twice to lead the Eagles past Endicott, 28-7, on a rainy Saturday afternoon at Hempstead Stadium.
Husson raced out to a 28-0 advantage in the contest before Gulls' sophomore fullback Hakim Fleming (Bridgeport, Conn.) broke up the shutout with a one-yard TD plunge at the 12-minute mark of the third.
In the first quarter, Cory Brandon (Pembroke, Mass.) put the Eagles up 7-0 with a three-yard TD pass to DJ Allen (Skowhegan, Maine) at 6:56, and then the contest belonged to Smith.
The senior tailback pushed Husson ahead 14-0 with a 75-yard dash at 12:35 of the second and followed that up with another score for 11 yards at the 8:48 mark. Brandon and Allen went on to cap the Eagles' offensive efforts on the day with 1:13 remaining in the first half with a five-yard TD connection.
As a team, Husson outgained Endicott 409-233 on 68 offensive plays (316 rushing | 93 passing) to improve to 3-1 on the year. Today's game also marked the first-ever meeting between the two programs.
- Joe Kalosky (Plymouth, Conn.) went 9-for-31 passing alongside 122 yards.
- Zach DeNike (Old Tappan, N.J.) hauled in a team-high four catches for 66 yards (team-high).
- Lavante Wiggins (Pittsfield, Mass.) paced the ground-game with 92 yards on 12 carries. Wiggins' 62-yard rush in the third quarter also helped set up Fleming's TD four plays later.
- Defensively, William Rivera (Orangeburg, N.Y.) registered a game-high 15 tackles (eight solo, seven assisted, one sack, 3.0 TFL) and had one fumble recovery.
- Zachary Poirier (Pawcatuck, Conn.) notched nine tackles (four solo, five assisted, 1.0 TFL), secured a fumble, and broke up two passes.
- James Lewis (New Fairfield, Conn.) finished with eight tackles (three solo, five assisted, 0.5 TFL), and one forced fumble.
- Brett Fox (Niantic, Conn.) logged 291 yards punting on eight attempts (36.4 average, long 50, three inside-20).
- Brandon went 11-for-21 passing for 93 yards and two passing touchdowns.
- Smith rushed for his 301 record breaking yards and two touchdowns on 39 carries (7.7 yards per carry).
- Smith held the previous record, which was 280 yards against Dean on September 16, 2016 (43-23 Husson).
- Additionally, Smith has now rushed for 100 yards or more in 29 career games for the Eagles.
- Allen ended the day with four catches for 18 yards and two scores
- Kyree Calli (Harrisburg, Pa.) guided the receiving corps with four catches and 43 yards.
- On defense, Husson broke up five passes, blocked one punt, and had four quarterback hurries.
- Elvin Suazo, Jr. (Brooklyn, N.Y.) and Tarik Smith (Sunrise, Fla.) tied for the team-high in tackles with nine apiece (both had three solo stops, and nine assisted tackles).
- Jean Gabriel (Lake Worth, Fla.) made four tackles (three solo), broke up one pass, and blocked a punt in the second quarter, which eventually set up Smith's 11-yard TD run.
- Jake Dobos (Northford, Conn.) broke up a game-high two passes to go along with four tackles (two solo).
Endicott (1-4) travels to Western New England University on Saturday, October 14 for its first league game of the season at 1 PM. Husson (3-1) hosts SUNY Maritime next Saturday, September 7 at 1 PM.
(Photo Credit - Allison Moore)