DUDLEY, Mass. – The Endicott football team posted a convincing 52-13 victory over league foe Nichols College on Saturday afternoon at Vendetti Field.
Sophomore quarterback Joe Kalosky (Plymouth, Conn.) highlighted the day for the Gulls with three passing touchdowns and 180 yards on 14 completions (26 attempts, one interception). Lavante Wiggins (Pittsfield, Mass.) also stood out for Endicott as the senior running back punched home two touchdowns on 13 carries for 56 yards.
Defensively, Christian Cole (Goshen, N.Y.) scored his first career touchdown (offensively or defensively) with a 64-yard pick six at the 7:24 mark of the third quarter to give the Gulls a 38-6 lead at the time. Christian Pizzotti (Melrose, Mass.) also compiled seven tackles (one solo, six assisted) and recovered one fumble, which set up Endicott's first score before the Gulls ran away with the contest.
Nichols did pull within one after Endicott got on the scoreboard first via a Wiggins' eight-yard scamper at 8:58 of the first, but after that, the Gulls posted 38 unanswered points and never looked back.
- Endicott held a slight 435-394 advantage in total offense.
- Defensively, the Gulls forced three fumbles, recovered four fumbles, had three interceptions, and posted five tackles for a loss (12 yards total).
- Riley Shanley (Simsbury, Conn.), Will Genaway (Hinsdale, Mass.), Zach DeNike (Old Tappan, N.J.), and Trent Burgess (The Woodlands, Texas) all caught touchdown passes.
- Devin Bower (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) paced the Gulls with eight tackles (three solo, five assisted).
- James Lewis (New Fairfield, Conn.), Sean Valente (Reading, Mass.) and Zachary Poirier (Pawcatuck, Conn.) all forced one fumble, respectively.
- Cole, Poirier, and Steven Abbott (Melrose, Mass.) notched interceptions in the win.
- Allen Gibson (Seymour, Conn.), Jason Martello (Baldwin, N.Y.), Ayinde Johnson (Norwalk, Conn.) and Pizzotti all had fumble recoveries for Endicott.
- Lewis also finished tied for second on the team with seven tackles (two solo, five assisted).
- John Glaser (East Moriches, N.Y.) converted a 26-yard field goal at the 12:25 mark of the second to give the Gulls a 17-6 lead at the time. He also went 7-for-7 on his extra point attempts.
- Brett Fox (Niantic, Conn.) compiled 186 yards on four punt attempts (46.5 average, 53 long, two inside-20, one touchback).
- Michael Nolan (Coventry, R.I.) cut into Nichols' deficit at 7-6 with a five-yard TD run with 5:48 left to play in the first (missed 2-point conversion).
- Tony Martignoli (Santa Rosa, Calif.) hauled in a 46-yard touchdown pass from Cameron Hamilton (Mattapoisett, Mass.) for the team's only other score with 8:22 remaining in the matchup (pat good).
- Nolan finished the day with 127 yards and a score on 23 attempts.
- Martignoli caught five passes for 102 yards, alongside is TD reception.
- Nichols' all-time leader in tackles Brett McEvoy (Wrentham, Mass.) added to his record with a game-high 15 stops (five solo, 10 assisted, 0.5 sacks, 0.5 TFL).
Endicott (2-7, 1-3 CCC Football) hosts Becker on Senior Day next Saturday, November 11 at 12 PM. Nichols (2-7, 0-4 CCC Football) travels to Western New England next Saturday with kickoff scheduled for 1 PM.
(Photo credit - David Le '10)