BABSON PARK, Mass. — The Endicott field hockey team opened up its 2019 season with a 3-1 win against No. 14 nationally ranked Babson College on Friday evening at MacDowell Field.
Trailing 1-0 in the second period, Addi Williams (Pittsfield, Maine) evened the score for the Gulls at the 16:12 mark with an unassisted tally (25th career).
Endicott went on to dominate play for the remainder of the period, outshooting the Beavers 5-2 in the frame, and well into the fourth quarter as well before Kristen McCarthy (Danvers, Mass.) broke up the deadlocked score with a goal at 51:27.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Babson is ranked No. 14 in the National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA) preseason poll.
- Today's contest marks the fourth time in the all-time series that Endicott and Babson have clashed when the Beavers have been nationally ranked. The Gulls are now 3-1 in that scenario, which includes victories over Babson on September 21, 2008 (ranked No. 16), September 26, 2017 (ranked No. 2), and August 30 (ranked No. 14).
- Endicott entered today's contest having won four straight season openers.
- Meanwhile, Babson came into today's matchup with an 11-game winning streak on opening day.
- From Williams' goal in the second all the way until the end of the contest, the Gulls outshot Babson 24-8 during that time span.
- Jaylin Grabau (Lynnfield, Mass.) and McCarthy both had assists in the win. It was Grabau's 13th career assist and McCarthy's 18th.
Endicott (1-0) travels to RPI on Saturday, September 7 for a non-conference matchup scheduled for 11 AM. No. 14 Babson (0-1) hosts Connecticut College on Tuesday, September 3 at 6 PM.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)