BEVERLY, Mass. — The Endicott men's basketball team tipped off the 2017 calendar with a 76-67 victory over visiting Wentworth Institute of Technology Tuesday night inside MacDonald Gymnasium in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action.
In a game in which they never trailed, the Gulls led cover to cover as Endicott placed four student-athletes in the double-digit scoring column, with senior guard Kamahl Walker (Worcester, Mass.) tallying a team-best 13 points.
The Gulls received 38-point effort off the bench to extend their lead to as much as 21 with 5:49 remaining in the game en route to their third straight win to remain unbeaten in conference play.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- 38 points from the non-starters is the Gulls' second-most this season (41 vs. Curry on 11/30/16.)
- Senior guard Drew Sawyer (Norwalk, Conn.) added 12 points, while senior guard Stephen Basden (Lynn, Mass.) and freshman guard Keith Brown (Pelham, N.H.) chipped in 11 points apiece to join Walker in double figures.
- Senior forward Daquan Sampson (Germantown, Md.) grabbed a game-high eight rebounds, while Basden and senior guard Max Motroni (West Warwick, R.I.) handed out four helpers each.
- Junior forward Christien Morneweck (Burlington, Mass.) contributed four points and a season-high five rebounds and two blocks off the bench.
- The Gulls are 23-10 against the Leopards in the all-time series, including a 14-4 ledger at home.
- Tonight's win snapped a two-game skid against the Leopards in head-to-head matchups.
FOR THE FOES
- The Leopards had four student-athletes in double figures as senior guard Dan DeVaux (Wethersfield, Conn.) poured in a game-high 17 points to lead the way, followed by 13 from freshman forward Matt Vartanian (Salem, N.H.), and 10 apiece by junior forward Jason Ganley (Northbridge, Mass.) and junior forward Michael Boaheng (Worcester, Mass.).
- Ganley and DeVaux grabbed a team-leading six rebounds each, while Ganley dished out a floor-best eight assists.
The Gulls (9-2, 4-0 CCC) welcome cross-town rival Gordon to MacDonald Gymnasium on Thursday, January 5 at 7:30 p.m.
Wentworth (3-8, 1-3 CCC) hosts Western New England on Thursday, January 5 at 7:30 p.m.