SALEM, Mass. — The Endicott men's basketball team defeated Colby-Sawyer College, 93-69, on Saturday evening in the Salem State Holiday Classic.
Matt McDevitt (Cumberland, Maine) guided the Gulls offensively with 23 points, seven rebounds, and three assists.
Vinny Clifford (Danvers, Mass.) added 17 points off the bench, while Joe Shehadi (Dorset, Vt.) came close to recording a triple-double via 11 points, a career-high 11 rebounds (10 defensive), and seven assists.
Tied 9-9 nearly four minutes into the first half (16:09), Endicott quickly separated itself from Colby-Sawyer with a 22-10 spurt (31-19 lead, 7:26) spearheaded by Clifford and McDevitt who both contributed six points each. Shehadi also notched five points, while Jordan Pettway (Bridgeport, Conn.) and Nick Thibeault (Gorham, Maine) posted three and two points, respectively.
In total, the Gulls closed out the opening stanza on a 38-21 run when the game was tied at 9-9 and were never threatened the rest of the way.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Endicott has won the last three meetings against Colby-Sawyer.
- The Chargers lead the all-time series, 13-10.
- Today's game was the first meeting between the two programs since 2011 (Endicott win, 65-61, 2/3/11).
- McDevitt's 23 points tonight tied his season-high (11/25/18 vs. No. 17 Middlebury).
- Pettway finished the game with eight points and a career-high seven assists.
- Keith Brown (Pelham, N.H.) had 15 points, five rebounds, and two steals. Brown has now scored 10 or more points in 37 out of his last 38 games played.
Endicott (7-3) takes on Thomas (Me.) tomorrow on day two of the Salem State Holiday Classic at 4 PM. Colby-Sawyer (6-4) plays against host Salem State on Sunday at 6 PM.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)