LONGMEADOW, Mass. – The Endicott men's golf team held off a furious rally by Western New England on day two of the Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) Golf Championship to capture its sixth conference title since the 2006-07 season on Sunday evening at the Twin Hills Country Club. Endicott beat Western New England by one stroke (606-607) despite the Golden Bears' resurgence on day two which featured an 11 stroke improvement.
By edging out Western New England, the Gulls have earned the CCC's automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament and will represent the conference at NCAA's from May 16-19 in Howey-in-the-Hills, Florida at the Mission Inn Resort.
Athan Goulos (Peabody, Mass.) headlined Endicott's efforts in the tournament with a two-day score of 146 (74, 72) for second place overall.
Ben Palazzo (Farmington, Conn.) came in fourth place (150, 77, 73), while Dan Negus (Pembroke, Mass.) and Carter Knox (Hinesburg, Vt.) tied for seventh with scores of 155, respectively. Negus shot 76-79 and Knox shot 77-78 throughout both days in the CCC Championship.
Drew Benshoff (Concord, Mass.) rounded out the group in 11th place (157, 77, 80).
BEYOND THE SCORECARD
- Since 2006-07, Endicott has captured the CCC title over the following years: 2006-07, 2009-10, 2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14, and 2016-17.
- Benshoff led all student-athletes with a -2 showing on Par 5's, and finished second in birdies with six.
- Goulos notched 24 pars, and and four birdies. He also went +1 on Par 3's, +3 on Par 4's, and even on Par 5's.
- Endicott shot 304 on day one and 302 on day two.
- Today's victory over Western New England ended the Golden Bears two-year run atop conference.
Endicott will represent the CCC at the NCAA Tournament from May 16-19 at the Mission Inn Resort in Howey-in-the-Hills, Florida.