HOBOKEN, N.J. – The Endicott men's lacrosse team fell to Stevens, 14-11, in its 2017 season opener on Saturday afternoon in non-conference action at the De Baun Athletic Complex.
Will Jennings (Danvers, Mass.) paced the Gulls with four points on three goals and one assist. A.J. MacDonald (New Fairfield, Conn.) added two goals and one assist, while Tommy Hughes (Coram, N.Y.) and Bryan McManus (Madison, Conn.) chipped in with a pair of tallies each. Shane Hughes (York Beach, Maine) and Colin Bannon (Westport, Conn.) rounded out the offense with solo tallies, respectively.
After Jennings tied up the contest at 3-3 with 1:37 left to play in the first quarter, Stevens rattled off five straight goals (8-3), which served as the turning point in the game despite the Gulls' efforts to cut their deficit to just a pair of goals on two separate occasions down the stretch (10-8 – 3rd quarter | 13-11 – 4th quarter).
Stevens' goalie Carson White (Downingtown, Pa.) made 13 saves in the win (2-0), while Endicott goalie Grant Thompson (South Hamilton, Mass.) had 11 saves in the loss (0-1).
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Endicott led 2-0 to start the match as MacDonald scored the Gulls' first goal of the 2017 season at 13:21, before Jennings followed with a tally at 12:10 (off a feed from MacDonald).
- Jennings's strike that tied up the game at 3-3 was a man-up tally, while T. Hughes made it 8-4 with the first man-down goal of the season at 11:51 of the third.
- T. Hughes also went 18-for-26 (game-high) at the face-off X, and scooped up a game-high 14 ground balls (only student-athlete in double digits in both categories).
- Grant Garrity (Duxbury, Mass.) notched a game-high four caused turnovers.
FOR THE FOES
- Tommy Dawson (Virginia Beach, Va.) compiled a game-high eight points on five goals and three assists.
- Connor McKeon (Branchburg, N.J.) aided the offense with four goals, while Brendan Monteleone (Mountain Lakes, N.J.) had three tallies.
- Connor Towne (San Jose, Calif.) and Tim Leahey (Loudonville, N.Y.) factored into the offense as well with one goal apiece.
- Jan Schoonen (Miller Place, N.Y.) had a team-high five ground balls.
Endicott (0-1) hosts Union (N.Y.) next Wednesday at Hempstead Stadium in non-conference action at 4 PM. Stevens (2-0) welcomes Montclair State to its campus on March 1 at 8 PM.