BEVERLY, Mass. – Union (N.Y.) senior attack Daniel Kycia (West Hartford, Conn.) scored from long range as time expired in the fourth quarter to give the Dutchmen a 13-12 win over Endicott on Wednesday night at Hempstead Stadium.
Trailing 12-10 with 11:52 left to play in the contest, Union (N.Y.) rattled off three unanswered goals from 5:19 to the end of play off tallies from Kerry Lyne (Wellesley, Mass.), Peter Richardson (New Canaan, Conn.), and Kycia.
Tonight's back-and-forth matchup featured five lead changes and five tied scores before all was said and done.
Endicott was led offensively by Colin Bannon (Westport, Conn.) as the senior attack/midi notched three goals on seven shots. Bannon also added three ground balls to his ledger. The Gulls also received a pair of markers from Tommy Hughes (Coram, N.Y.), Cam Goodrich (Raynham, Mass.), and A.J. MacDonald (New Fairfield, Conn.), and solo tallies via Will Jennings (Danvers, Mass.) and Bryan McManus (Madison, Conn.).
In goal, Sam Bebout (Summit, N.J.) stopped 11 shots in the win (1-0), while Grant Thompson (South Hamilton, Mass.) had 15 saves in the loss (0-2).
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Last year's contest, which marked the first-ever meeting between the two programs, also ended in a 13-12 score, however Endicott won that game in double overtime.
- Jennings also dished out a game-high three assists, while McManus had two.
- Jennings led all Gulls with four points on the night.
- Hughes went 16-for-27 at the face-off X. It's the second game in a row Hughes has won the matchup at the face-off X for Endicott.
- Hughes also collected a game-high 11 ground balls.
- Grant Garrity (Duxbury, Mass.), Shane Hughes (York Beach, Maine), and Dylan Carter (Bethel, Conn.) all had two caused turnovers.
FOR THE FOES
- Kycia paced all student-athletes with five points (three goals, two assists).
- Richardson buried a game-high four goals for the Dutchmen.
- Jack Scheufele (Weston, Conn.) and Lyne ended the night with two tallies each, while Nick Wright (Fayetteville, N.Y.) and Jack Sullivan (Marblehead, Mass.) notched solo markers as well to round out the offense.
- Josh Willis (Westport, Conn.) guided the defense with three caused turnovers and six ground balls.
Endicott (0-2) travels to No. 14 nationally ranked Middlebury College on Tuesday, March 7 at 3 PM. Union (1-0) hosts Babson College on Saturday, March 4 at 1 PM.