WENHAM, Mass. – The Endicott men's lacrosse team locked up the number one seed in the upcoming Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) Tournament with a commanding 15-4 league win over Gordon on Tuesday evening.
Colin Bannon (Westport, Conn.) also added two goals and two assists, while Luke Wallahan (Pleasant Hill, Calif.), Andrew Soucy (Andover, Mass.), Kenny Van Spankeren (Oak Park, Ill.), Chris Reilly (Westwood, Mass.), and Ben Clark (Burnt Hills, N.Y.) notched solo tallies.
Endicott never trailed in the win, as the Gulls scored 12 straight goals to begin the game before Gordon finally found the scoreboard with three seconds remaining in the opening 30 minutes of action. The Blue and Green tallied four goals in the first quarter, and eight more in the second prior to the Fighting Scots' strike with the clock winding down in the half.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Tommy Hughes (Coram, N.Y.) went 15-for-17 at the face-off X, and registered 13 ground balls. Hughes is now 10 ground balls shy of breaking Sam Ozycz's (Cheshire, Conn.) program record for career ground balls (728, 2009-13).
- Grant Thompson (South Hamilton, Mass.) stopped eight shots in goal to improve to 8-4 on the season.
- The Gulls went 17-for-20 on their clear attempts. Endicott has not been held to under 10 successful clears all season (15 straight games).
- Shane Hughes (York Beach, Maine) posted a career-high four caused turnovers.
FOR THE FOES
- Thor Rasmussen (Fairfax, Va.) paced Gordon with two goals.
- Jason Dantona (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) and Nico Manganiello (Peabody, Mass.) also found the back of the net once.
- Jay Gallipo (Dover, N.H.) had five saves in the loss (5-6).
Endicott (8-7, 8-0 CCC) and Gordon (5-10, 1-7 CCC) will now await the CCC's announcement on tournament pairings later this week. As the No. 1 seed in the CCC Tournament, the Gulls have earned the right to host throughout the playoffs.