BEVERLY, Mass. – The second-seeded Endicott men's lacrosse team defeated seventh-seeded Wentworth, 20-4, in the Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) Tournament quarterfinal round on Saturday evening at Hempstead Stadium.
The Gulls' first offensive possession of the matchup foreshadowed the rest of the game as Jack Sutherland (Sudbury, Mass.) scored eight seconds into the action via a faceoff win and an assist by Derek Yannone (Lynnfield, Mass.).
After Wentworth tied up the score at the 11:58 mark, Endicott produced a 9-0 run to close out the first half and never looked back thanks in large part to seizing momentum early on in the contest.
Sutherland highlighted the Gulls' offense, which featured 13 total goal scorers, with a career-high five goals.
Mike Sudora (Monroe, Conn.), John Koebel (Port Jefferson Station, N.Y.), and Sam Abate (Beverly, Mass.) all finished with three points apiece (2g, 1a | 3a | 1g, 2a), while Reed Rezanka (San Diego, Calif.) scored his first collegiate goal to highlight the rest of Endicott's attack.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Endicott improved to 23-3 all-time against Wentworth.
- Defensively, Andrew Fithian (Marshfield, Mass.) and Grant Garrity (Duxbury, Mass.) tied for the game-high in caused turnovers with three each.
- More importantly, Fithian, Garrity, and the rest of the defense held Wentworth's top-two goal scorers to just one goal on 12 shots. Both of the Leopards' top-two point-getters came in with 60-plus points, respectively.
- Patrick Dean (Westhampton, N.Y.) also played a pivotal role on defense today as the senior goalie came up with nine saves and only allowed two goals in 45 minutes of action.
- The Gulls moved their home record to 6-2 on the season with today's win.
Second-seeded Endicott (10-7) hosts third-seeded Roger Williams on Tuesday, April 30 in the CCC Tournament semifinals at a time to be determined later. Meanwhile, Wentworth's 2019 season comes to a close at 6-12 overall.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)