BEVERLY, Mass. – The Endicott men's soccer team opened up its 2015 campaign with 0-0 double overtime draw against No. 6/16 nationally-ranked Calvin College in non-conference action on Friday night at Endicott Stadium.
The Gulls' best chance to score at the end of regulation came on a blocked shot by freshman back Chris Montani (Fairfield, Conn.) with 10 seconds remaining.
Senior forward Mark Greco (Belchertown, Mass.) led the charge with two of the team's five shots on the night.
Calvin fired 12 shots in regulation to the Gulls' three, but aggressive play and timely defense fended off any chance of scoring and took the teams to overtime hungry for a golden goal, but to no avail both teams were not able to find the back of the net.
The Endicott defense held a pressing Knights' offense to 17 shots, limiting the attack to five shots on goal as junior goalkeeper Nick Weinstein (Trumbull,Conn.) made his first career start for the Green and Blue after transferring from Bryant University in the last academic year.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Calvin held a 9-1 advantage in corner kicks.
- Endicott has now earned 16 ties dating back to the 2010 season.
- The Gulls made five trips to double overtime in the 2014 season and sported a 0-1-4 record in those matches
- The last time Endicott recorded a 0-0 (2 OT) draw was on Nov. 1, 2014 against Salve Regina University.
FOR THE FOES
- Junior midfielder Stephan Hooker (Hudsonville, Mich.) and senior midfielder Taylor Pruis (Grand Rapids, Mich.) paced the Knights' attack with four shots apiece.
- Freshman back Trent Vegter (Hudsonville, Mich.) put a team-leading two shots on goal.
- Senior goalkeeper Niko Giantsopoulos (Markham, Ontario) notched one save and it came 4:43 minutes into the first half.
- Endicott opened the season with a tie for the first time since Sept. 2, 2010 in a 1-1 home match against Salem St.
Endicott (0-0-1) hosts Utica College on Saturday, September 5 for a 5:00 PM meeting in the North Shore Invitational. Calvin (0-0-1) heads over to Gordon College on Saturday at 7:00 PM.