BRISTOL, R.I. – The Endicott men's soccer team shut out the Roger Williams Hawks, 1-0, in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action Saturday afternoon at Bayside Field to earn the Gulls' first victory over RWU in program history.
With the win, Endicott improved to 6-1-1 (3-0-0 CCC), while Roger Williams dropped to 4-5-0 overall and 1-2-0 in conference play.
Sophomore forward Diego Maillo (Plantation, Fla.) took a cross from the middle off a pass from senior midfielder Shintaroh Itoh (Nerima, Tokyo, Japan) and deposited his shot to the left corner of the net in the 13th minute to give the visitors an early lead.
From there, Endicott maintained control throughout the remainder of the half. The Hawk offense had difficulty getting into a rhythm as the Gulls held Roger Williams to only four shots in the period, with only one on goal.
In the second half, the Endicott defense continued to stymie the Roger Williams attack. The Hawks were held without a shot until the final five minutes of the game.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Today's match saw junior goalkeeper Nick Weinstein (Trumbull, Conn.) post his sixth clean sheet of the season, (fifth consecutive) and made two saves.
- Weinstein has allowed just four goals on the season (fewest allowed by all CCC goalkeepers).
- Endicott has not allowed a goal in its last 465:43 of action (five-plus games).
- The Gulls outshot the Hawks 19-5 on the day, including a 10-1 advantage in the second half.
- Five shots for the opponent is tied for the second-fewest the team has allowed this year. (Four vs. Coast Guard on September 22 and five vs. Utica on September 5.)
- The Gulls extended their win streak to five games, their second-longest streak in program history. The team had previously strung together four wins at a time in the 2001, 2002, 2011 and 2012 seasons and fired off ten straight wins in the 1998 season.
- Endicott has outscored its opponents 13-0 in this winning span.
- Today's match was the Gulls second-straight 1-0 victory. The last time this feat occurred was in 1-0 wins vs. Wentworth in overtime (Sept. 28, 2013) and vs. UMass-Dartmouth (Oct. 1, 2013).
- The Gulls 17 goals this season have come courtesy of eight different players.
- Maillo scored his third goal of the season (second game-winner)
- Itoh has assisted in four straight games, and leads the Gulls with five on the season (second-best in the CCC as of Sept. 26, 2015.)
FOR THE FOES
- Sophomore goalkeeper Nick Nelson (Madison, Conn.) took the loss, making one save with one goal allowed in the first half. Junior Carsten Fredrickson (Bainbridge Island, Wash.) had five saves for RWU in the second half in relief of Nelson.
- Today's match saw the Gulls earn their first victory over the Hawks all-time (1-15-4) dating back to before the 2001 season.
- Last season, the Gulls lost 1-0 in Beverly on Sept. 27, 2014.
- Eight of the 20 matches have gone to overtime, but no extra time was needed today.
- This win snapped a four-match losing skid against RWU for the Gulls.
- In Coach Calabrese's tenure, the Gulls are (1-4-2) with three double-overtime matches (two ties) against RWU, since he took over in 2011.
- The Gulls have been shut out nine times by the Hawks in program history, but today earned their first against the hosts.
Endicott (6-1-1) hosts UMass-Dartmouth on Tuesday, September 29 at 7:00 p.m. for a non-conference tilt.
Roger Williams (4-5-0) goes up the road to face Rhode Island College in Providence on Wednesday, September 30 at 4:00 PM.