NEWPORT, R.I. – The Endicott men's soccer team pocketed a 1-1 double overtime draw on the road on the Salve Regina University Seahawks' Senior Day Saturday afternoon at Reynolds Field in Commonwealth Conference (CCC) action as the Gulls' unbeaten streak extended to 13 matches.
Endicott senior forward Mark Greco (Belchertown, Mass.) found the back of the net with a header on a corner kick from sophomore midfielder/back Brendan McLaughlin (Colchester, Conn.) for a quick strike just 5:57 into the contest.
Freshman goalkeeper Brandon Rosenbaum (Matinecock, N.Y.) made his career debut for the Gulls in net, stopping nine of the ten shots, including seven saves in the first half alone.
Salve Regina outshot Endicott 20-6 on the afternoon and tallied the equalizer in the 78th minute off the leg of freshman midfielder Matthew O'Donnell (Mars, Pa.) as sophomore forward Jared Warren (Georgetown, Mass.) picked up his first career assist.
110:00 minutes of double overtime wasn't enough to decide this one as the Gulls played their fourth overtime match in the past five contests and were handed their first conference draw.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Gulls still hold a 9-6-3 advantage in the all-time series, which dates back to prior to 2001.
- The team tallied three saves in an effort to preserve the tie.
- Greco scored his second goal of the season.
- McLaughlin picked up his third assist of the season.
FOR THE FOES
- Freshman goalkeeper Michael Payan (Fort Lee, N.J.) made two saves in the tie and the team registered two saves.
- O'Donnell recorded his second goal of the season.
- The Seahawks are 0-1-1 in their past two matches, with both going to double overtime.
- The last time the two teams battled to a 1-1 double-overtime draw was on Oct. 27, 2005 in Newport, R.I.
- Endicott and Salve Regina went to double-overtime (0-0) in their last meeting on Nov. 1, 2014 in the postseason at home.
Endicott (12-1-3, 7-0-1 CCC) welcomes Gordon College to Hempstead Stadium on Tuesday, October 27 at 7:00 p.m. in the Gulls' final match of the regular season.
Salve Regina (5-9-2, 3-4-1 CCC) will close out the regular season on the road at Nichols on Tuesday, October 27 at 4:00 p.m.