BEVERLY, Mass. – The No. 1 seed Endicott men's soccer team fell, 2-1, to No. 3 seed Springfield College Sunday afternoon in ECAC Division III New England Championship match at Hempstead Stadium.
With the loss, Endicott ends its season at 16-3-4 overall, while Springfield finished 16-4-2 and claimed their second ECAC Championship in three years.
Sophomore midfielder Robert Hartan (Hebron, Conn.) scored the Gulls' only goal of the match in the 18th minute with a one touch dribbler to the back of the net off a feed from senior midfielder Shintaroh Itoh (Nerima, Tokyo, Japan).
The Pride answered with the equalizer in the 36th minute as freshman forward Nick Fontana (Marshfield, Mass.) sent a ball into the back right on a pass over the middle from sophomore forward Danny Murphy (Old Saybrook, Conn.).
Sophomore midfielder Wayne Belcher (Norton, Mass.) netted the game-winning goal assisted by Taylor Gilfoy (Holliston, Mass.) and Cam Powell (Housatonic, Mass.) in the 70th minute as he redirected a rebounded ball in traffic to give Springfield the lead it would not relinquish.
Senior midfielder Connor Archambault (Torrance, Calif.) was named the 2015 ECAC Division III New England Tournament Most Outstanding Player.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Endicott is 0-4-1 against Springfield all-time.
- The Gulls finished as runners-up in the ECAC Tournament after winning it all in 2014.
- Junior goalkeeper Nick Weinstein (Trumbull, Conn.) registered seven saves in the match as he concluded the season 16-3-3 in goal.
- Hartan scored his first goal in an Endicott uniform.
- Itoh recorded his 10th assist of the season.
FOR THE FOES
- Fontana and Belcher scored their fourth goals of the season.
- Murphy earned his fourth assist of the season.
- Gilfoy picked up his fifth assist of the season.
- Powell registered his first assist of the season.
- Senior goalkeeper Billy Schmid (Wethersfield,Conn.) made eight saves as he improved to 12-4-2 on the season.