BEVERLY, Mass. — The Endicott men's soccer team fell to No. 19 nationally ranked Saint Joseph's (Me.), 2-1, on Friday night in the North Shore Invitational at Hempstead Stadium.
Tied 1-1 late in the second half, Monks' sophomore defender Michael Wildes (Winslow, Maine) one-timed a loose ball in the box into the right corner of the net in the 87th minute to give Saint Joseph's (Me.) the eventual win.
Meanwhile, for the Gulls, sophomore transfer Kobe Barnes (Hartford, Conn.) netted his first tally with Endicott in the 68th minute to even the score, at the time.
Barnes found the back of the net when he corralled an attempted clearance by Saint Joseph's (Me.) at the top left corner of the box and promptly ripped a shot which got deflected by a defender over Monks' goalie David Walbridge (Hampden, Mass.) into the net.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Monks are ranked No. 19 in the United Soccer Coaches preseason poll.
- Endicott is 8-3-0 all-time against Saint Joseph's (Me.) in the all-time series, which dates back to October 19, 2002.
- The Gulls won the first six meetings in the all-time series versus the Monks, while, Saint Joseph's (Me.) owns a 3-2-0 record in the last five contests between the two programs.
- Endicott freshman goalkeeper Zach Regulbuto (Somers, Conn.) made seven saves in his collegiate debut.
- The Gulls outshot Saint Joseph's (Me.) in a hard-fought second half, 9-8.
Endicott (0-1-0) hosts Thomas (Me.) tomorrow on the second night of the North Shore Invitational at 7 PM. No. 19 Saint Joseph's (1-0-0) visits Gordon College tomorrow night as part of the North Shore Invitational at 7 PM.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)