THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – The No. 7 nationally ranked Endicott men's volleyball team defeated Cal Lutheran in a five-set thriller on Tuesday night by scores of 25-21, 22-25, 25-15, 22-25, and 15-11 in non-conference action in Gilbert Arena.
Tied 4-4 in set five, the Gulls used a 6-2 run to create a four-point gap (10-6) against Cal Lutheran that proved to be the difference in the match. Endicott's 6-2 run featured two kills, one service ace, and three errors from the Kingsmen.
Bryn Lipton (Rockford, Ill.) guided the Gulls offensively with a match-high/career-high 26 kills on 43 swings (.488). Lipton also added a match-high/career-high (tied) 14 digs and two service aces to his stat line in the win.
The Gulls also saw Erich Roman (Glastonbury, Conn.) produce 13 kills and three block assists, while Jeremy Doski (Sandy Hook, Conn.), Donovan Dey (Fairport, N.Y.), and Seth Braquet (Destrehan, La.) all had eight kills, respectively.
Along with his eight kills, Doski ran the majority of Endicott's offense behind a career-high 39 assists in addition to his 10 digs, three block solos, and one service ace. Meanwhile, Doski's counterpart in the 6-2 offense, Chad Riorden (Fairport, N.Y.), registered 20 assists.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Cal Lutheran never tied the score or got within a one point difference after the Gulls' 6-2 run made it 10-6 in set five.
- Lipton's 26 kills rank tied for 10th all-time in a five-set match in program history.
- Endicott posted a season-high 68 kills (.340) and 63 digs.
- Ryan Healy (Fair Lawn, N.J.) also tied Lipton for the match-high in digs.
- For the first time this season, the Gulls featured four student-athletes in the lineup with 10 or more digs: Lipton (14), Healy (14), Dey (11), Doski (10).
No. 7 Endicott (16-3) takes on Westcliff tomorrow on the campus of Cal Lutheran at 10 PM (EST). Cal Lutheran (9-8) travels to MIT on Monday, March 25 at 3 PM.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)