NEWPORT, R.I. – Amanda Riley's (Barrington, N.H.) opposite field RBI single in the bottom of the third inning proved to be the difference as first-seeded Salve Regina University topped fourth-seeded Endicott, 1-0, in game five of the Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) Tournament on Saturday afternoon at Toppa Field.
With a runner on third and two outs in the third inning, Riley laced a fastball on the outer half through the left side of the infield to plate Francesca Galeazzi (Lynn, Mass.) for the game's lone run.
Kelsey Boarman (North Dighton, Mass.) then worked her way through a pair of jams over the next two frames to give Salve Regina the win. Boarman improved to 15-3 overall on the season with a complete effort that featured five hits, zero runs, one free pass, and a game-high five strikeouts.
Endicott starter Michaela Hamill (Lynn, Mass.) was handed the hard-luck loss on six innings pitched, four hits, one run (earned), one walk, and three punchouts.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- In the fourth inning, Endicott threatened with runners on second and third base after Olivia Odermatt (Cheshire, Conn.) notched a single through the left side and Jamie Hopgood (Warwick, R.I.) roped a ground-rule double off the the third baseman's glove, all with two outs. Boarman ended the threat with a groundout to short.
- In the fifth, Danielle Stratton (Agawam, Mass.) led off the frame with a single and stole second with one out, but Boarman was up to the task once again this time with back-to-back strikeouts (both swinging) to squash Endicott's rally.
- Julia McNeill (Smithtown, N.Y.) went 2-for-3 from the two-hole in the lineup to extend her hitting streak to nine straight games. McNeill also has compiled two hits in three straight contests.
FOR THE FOES
- All four of Salve Regina's hits came from the top of the order (1-4).
- Galeazzi, Elizabeth Lombardo (Thomaston, Conn.), Emily Woznick (Sandy Hook, Conn.), and Riley all had singles in that respective order in the lineup.
Fourth-seeded Endicott (21-15) will play seventh-seeded Curry in game eight of the CCC Tournament on Friday, May 5 in Newport, Rhode Island at a time to be determined later.
First-seeded Salve Regina (23-11) will host second-seeded Western New England on Friday, May 5 in game nine of the CCC Tournament at a time to be determined later.