BEVERLY, Mass. – The Endicott softball team hosted Gordon College on Monday afternoon and came away with a conference doubleheader sweep. The Gulls picked up a 4-2 victory in the first game and then notched a 14-6 (6 inn.) win during the second contest.
ENDICOTT 4, GORDON 2
The Gulls took the early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first. Gina DeMilt (Princeton, N.J.) walked to get on base and then rounded home on a triple to right field from Adrianna Favreau (Tewksbury, Mass.).
The Fighting Scots mounted a rally attempt in the top of the sixth by scoring two runs to cut the deficit in half.
Endicott held on defensively in the final inning to secure the 4-2 victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Michaela Hamill (Lynn, Mass.) pitched all seven innings and recorded seven strikeouts while allowing five hits and two walks.
- Leading the Gulls offensively was DeMilt who went 1-for-2 with two RBI.
- Jasmine Mullally (Waterford, N.Y.) was credited with the loss (4-5) for Gordon. She struck out seven batters while allowing four walks, four hits, and four runs.
ENDICOTT 14, GORDON 6 (6 inn.)
The Fighting Scots saw three runs in their first at-bat to take the early 3-0 lead.
Endicott responded with a run in the bottom of the first to cut the deficit to 3-1 and then tacked on three more tallies in the third inning to gain the lead.
The Gulls extended their advantage with one run in the fourth inning and three in the fifth but Gordon wouldn't go down without a fight.
In the top of the sixth, the Fighting Scots drove in three runs to make it an 8-6 game with bases loaded and two outs. Endicott got out of the jam with a pop up to second to keep the lead.
The Gulls exploded for six runs in the bottom of the sixth to secure the 14-6 victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Maggie Oram (Lexington, Mass.) got the start in the circle and struck out six while allowing four walks, six runs, and seven hits in 5.2 innings pitched.
- Laura Somerville (Suffield, Conn.) came in with two outs in the top of the sixth to earn her first save of the season.
- Leading the Gulls offensively were Odermatt (2-for-5, 3 RBI, 2 doubles), Lauren Misiaszek (Londonderry, N.H.) (2-for-3, 3 RBI, double), Favreau (2-for-3, 2 RBI), and Hopgood (2-for-3, 1 RBI, double).
- Caitlin Catalanotto (Kingston, N.H.) shifted to 6-4 on the season with the loss. She recorded four strikeouts and allowed 12 hits.
Endicott (11-3, 4-0 CCC) travels to Tufts for a nonconference doubleheader on Tuesday, April 2 at 3 PM. Gordon (10-10, 2-4 CCC) travels to Salem State at 4 PM on Tuesday, April 2 for a doubleheader.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)