BEVERLY, Mass. – The Endicott softball team hosted Curry College for a Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) doubleheader and came away with a sweep. The Gulls won the first contest, 10-1, and the second, 13-4.
ENDICOTT 10, CURRY 1 (5 INN.)
Endicott jumped out to the early 4-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning and never looked back.
The Gulls added three more runs in both the third and fourth innings before the Colonels were able to cross the plate for a lone run in the top of the fifth.
Laura Somerville (Suffield, Conn.) earned the win in the circle to improve to 7-1 on the season.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Maggie Oram (Lexington, Mass.) pitched the final inning and allowed three hits while striking out one batter.
- Carrigan Costello (Wolcott, Conn.) shifted to 7-10 on the season with the loss (4 IP, 12 H, 10 R, 9 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO, 1 HR).
- Gina DeMilt (Princeton, N.J.) led the Endicott offense as she went 3-for-4 at the plate with one RBI.
- Adrianna Favreau (Tewksbury, Mass.) hit a solo home run during the fourth inning.
ENDICOTT 13, CURRY 4 (5 INN.)
The Gulls once again jumped out to the early lead and never relinquished it as they completed the sweep over the Colonels.
Endicott took the 2-0 advantage in the first inning on a two-run home run from Favreau, her second of the series.
During the top of the second, Curry cut the deficit in half with a run of its own.
The Gulls responded well in the bottom of the frame with a grand slam from Jamie Hopgood (Warwick, R.I.) to make it a 6-1 game.
Curry wouldn't go down without a fight, however, and scored three runs in the third inning to come within two runs of the lead.
Endicott's offense added two runs in the third and five runs in the fourth to secure the 13-4 victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Michaela Hamill (Lynn, Mass.) earned the start and the win for the Gulls to improve to 8-2 on the season.
- Taylor Newcomb (Millville, Mass.) shifted to 3-8 with the loss for Curry.
- Hopgood led the team with five RBI.
- DeMilt finished the contest 2-for-3 at the plate with two RBI.
Endicott (24-4, 14-0 CCC) travels to Nichols on Monday, April 22 at 2:30 PM. Curry (12-23, 2-14 CCC) finishes out the regular season with a 3 PM doubleheader against Suffolk on Tuesday, April 23.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)