BABSON PARK, Mass. – The No. 8 regionally-ranked Endicott softball team traveled to No. 5 regionally-ranked Babson College for a non-conference doubleheader and came away with a pair of wins. The Gulls notched a 6-4 victory during the first contest and picked up a 5-4 win during game two.
ENDICOTT 6, BABSON 4
The Gulls exploded for six runs during the top of the fourth inning, highlighted by a grand slam to right center from Jamie Hopgood (Warwick, R.I.).
Babson saw three runs score in the bottom of the fifth to cut the deficit to 6-3.
In the bottom of the seventh, the Beavers tallied one more run to make it a 6-4 game and then threatened with runners on and the tying run up to bat, but the Endicott defense stood strong to get the final outs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Carly Marchitto (Orange, Conn.) led the Endicott offense as she went 2-for-2 at the plate.
- Hopgood had a team-high four RBI.
- Michaela Hamill (Lynn, Mass.) got the start and the win to improve to 9-2 on the season.
- Also seeing time in the circle were Laura Somerville (Suffield, Conn.) and Maggie Oram (Lexington, Mass.). Oram was credited with her third save of the year.
- For the Beavers, Brooke Stock (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) was credited with the loss.
ENDICOTT 5, BABSON 4
The Gulls took the early 1-0 lead in the top of the first but the Beavers responded in the bottom of the frame to tie the game at 1-1.
In the top of the seventh, Favreau added an RBI single and Misiaszek hit a sacrifice fly to stretch the lead to 5-1.
Babson attempted a late rally by scoring three runs in their last at-bat but the Gulls were able to get out of a bases-loaded jam to secure the close 5-4 win.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Oram pitched the complete game to improve to 11-1 on the season (7 IP, 4 R, 2 ER, 8 BB, 4 SO).
- Katie Gademsky (Hillsborough, N.J.) shifted to 10-5 with the complete game loss.
- Leading the Gulls at the plate were Gina DeMilt (Princeton, N.J.) and Misiaszek, who both went 2-for-3.
- Endicott now leads the all-time series with Babson, 11-10-1.
- The last time the Gulls recorded a win over Babson was on April 15, 2011.
- Endicott now has a 17 game winning streak dating back to April 2.
Endicott (28-4) travels to MIT for a 3 PM non-conference doubleheader on Friday, April 26. Babson (19-13) travels to Coast Guard on Thursday, April 25 at 3 PM.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)