BEVERLY, Mass. – The top-seeded Endicott softball team split a pair of games as they open Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) tournament play on Friday at the Softball Complex. The Gulls defeated Roger Williams 8-0 during the first contest before falling 6-2 to the University of New England in the second game of the day.
ENDICOTT 8, ROGER WILLIAMS 0 (6 INN)
The Gulls took the early lead in the bottom of the third on a two-run homer to center field from Jamie Hopgood (Warwick, R.I.) and never looked back.
Endicott added one run in the fourth inning, two runs in the fifth inning and secured the 8-0 victory with three runs in the bottom of the sixth.
Maggie Oram (Lexington, Mass.) pitched all six innings for the Gulls and allowed just five hits with two strikeouts.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Leading the Gulls offensively were Hopgood and Olivia Odermatt (Cheshire, Conn.), who both went 2-for-3 at the plate.
- Hopgood, Odermatt, Adrianna Favreau (Tewksbury, Mass.), Hayley Arduini (Southington, Conn.), and Hannah Llewellyn (Danvers, Mass.) all hit a double during the contest.
- Hailey Pretchtel (Glenmont, N.Y.) shifted to 4-4 on the season with the loss.
- Ellie Fleming (Marshfield, Mass.) and Lia Nocella (Tyngsboro, Mass.) also saw time in the circle for the Hawks.
UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND 6, ENDICOTT 2
Endicott's Lauren Misiaszek (Londonderry, N.H.) got things started with an RBI single through the left side to give the Gulls a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning.
However, the Nor'easters responded with two runs of their own in the top of the second to gain the 2-1 advantage.
In the bottom of the frame, Endicott tied the game at 2-2 on an RBI double from Odermatt.
UNE tallied three runs during the third inning and then added one more run in the seventh to secure the 6-2 victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Laura Somerville (Suffield, Conn.) shifted to 8-2 on the season with the loss in the circle.
- Michaela Hamill (Lynn, Mass.) finished out the game for the Gulls (5 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO).
- Leading the way for Endicott was Misiaszek, who went 2-for-3 at the plate.
- Sydnee Bessler (Everett, Mass.) improved to 13-6 with the win.
- Sarah Lachapelle (Gilford, N.H.) led the Nor'easter offense as she went 2-for-3 with three RBI.
Endicott (29-5) will host Salve Regina at 11:30 AM on Saturday, May 4 as the CCC Tournament continues.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)