BEVERLY, Mass.- The Endicott women's basketball team dropped a narrow 60-56 non-conference contest to visiting Keene St. College Tuesday night at MacDonald Gymnasium.
With the loss, the Gulls fell to 1-2 overall, while Keene St. improved to 5-0 on the season.
It was a back and forth affair to start the game as the Owls pulled ahead 7-5 with 6:52 remaining in the first quarter and never looked back as the first half ended with Keene St. up 30-24 heading into the break.
The Owls came out of the gate and dropped 21 points in the third quarter, their highest quarter total of the game to ride a 51-37 advantage heading into the final 10 minutes of play.
The Gulls outscored the Owls, 19-9, in the fourth quarter, but the rally fell just short in the waning seconds.
Senior guard Kelsey Cuddy (Madison, Conn.) tallied a team-leading 21 points (season-high), seven assists, and five rebounds to go with a career-high nine steals.
BEYOND THE BOX
- The Owls' largest lead of the game came at the end of the third quarter, up 51-37.
- The Gulls outshot the Owls from the free throw line, 60 percent to 52.9 percent, but both teams shot 36 percent from the field.
- The Gulls forced 23 turnovers and turned them into 24 points.
- Keene St. out-rebounded Endicott, 49-34.
- Cuddy's nine steals bested her previous game-high of eight set on Dec. 3, 2014 against Gordon.
- Cuddy's nine steals ties a single-game program record held by Ashley Wright set on Feb. 21, 2009 against Curry.
- Sophomore forward Sam Charette (Wenham, Mass.) grabbed six rebounds in her return to the hardwood and netted four points.
- Sophomore guard Hannah Kiernan (Wenham, Mass.) added 11 points and four rebounds.
- Sophomore guard Gabriella Coppola (Watertown, Mass.) and sophomore forward Hannah Shaw (Bar Harbor, Maine) chipped in 11 points and nine points, respectively, for the Gulls.
FOR THE FOES
- Sophomore guard Sandi Purcell (Hudson, N.H.) poured in a game-high 26 points to lead the floor.
- Senior guard Kelsey Cognetta (Stamford, Conn.) chipped in 13 points.
- Junior forward Sarah Kober (Easthampton, Mass.) pulled down a game-high 11 rebounds.
- The Owls' 5-0 start is the best in recent history, since 2011-12 when the team went 4-1 to open the schedule.
- Tonight's win was the closest margin of victory for the Owls so far this season.
- Endicott is 1-5 all-time and 0-3 at home against Keene St. dating back prior to the 2002 season.
- The Gulls' last home opener victory was a 79-74 win against Salem St. on Nov. 21, 2013.
The Gulls (1-2) will open CCC play on the road at Nichols on Wednesday, December 2 at 5:30 p.m. in Dudley, Mass. The Owls (5-0) return to action on Tuesday, December 1 vs. Rensselaer at 6:00 p.m.