BRISTOL, R.I. – The Endicott women's basketball team suffered a 72-64 in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action Saturday afternoon in the Ryan Weekes '12 Memorial Game inside the Recreation Center Gymnasium.
Junior forward Sarah Hood (Burlington, Mass.) paced the Gulls with a career-high 18 points and a game-high eight rebounds as the team erased an early 5-2 deficit to take a 12-11 edge.
A 6-0 run over the next two minutes and eventually put the Gulls up, 21-13, at the end of the first quarter for Endicott's largest lead of the game.
Roger Williams tied the game at 33-all on senior guard Rachel Battista's (Johnston, R.I.) pair of free throws with 2:10 remaining in the first half, but Endicott pulled ahead for a 40-35 advantage going into halftime.
Endicott led for much of the third quarter, as Roger Williams slowly chipped away at the score to tie it up again at 51-51 on senior guard Angelica Ariola's (Prospect, Conn.) three-pointer at the 3:10 mark of the third quarter and took the lead on Battista's trey to close out the quarter in favor of the Hawks, 54-52.
Roger Williams out-scored the Gulls in every frame except the first and survived two tied scores (54-54 and 60-60) in the fourth quarter before putting the Gulls way down the stretch with free throws as 16 of the Hawks' 18 points in the quarter came courtesy of the charity stripe.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Gulls placed two student-athletes in double figures as sophomore guard Hannah Kiernan (Wenham, Mass.) joined Hood in double digits with 15 points.
- Endicott had its four-game win streak snapped today.
- This game featured six ties and nine lead changes.
FOR THE FOES
- Battista finished with a game-high 23 points on 4-of-9 from the field, 1-of-3 from three-point range and a game-high 14-of-16 from the free throw line.
- Ariola and junior guard Katie Lowerre (Sharon, Mass.) were also in double figures with also 18 points and 13 points, respectively.
- The Hawks converted 27-of-36 free throws.
- Roger Williams won the battle off the glass, 35-32.
- Endicott is 16-14 all-time and 6-9 on the road at Roger Williams dating back prior to the 2001 season.
- The Hawks won the most recent meeting before tonight, 61-51, in Beverly, Mass. on Jan. 7, 2016 and earned a series sweep of the Gulls this season.
- The photo on this release is tinted purple in memory of Ryan Weekes '12, a beloved Roger Williams women's basketball star who passed away far too soon due to cancer. You can read more about the Ryan Weekes' '12 Memorial Game here.
Both teams are back in action on Wednesday, February 10, as the Gulls (13-8, 11-3 CCC) will travel to face CCC leader, UNE, at 5:30 p.m., while Roger Williams (13-8, 10-4 CCC) plays at Eastern Nazarene at 5:00 p.m. in Quincy, Mass.