MILTON, Mass. – The Endicott women's basketball team defeated Curry College by a score of 69-63 on Saturday afternoon.
The first quarter was a close one, with the Colonels taking a slight 11-9 lead after the first 10 minutes of play. Endicott picked up the pace in the second quarter, going on to a 31-26 lead at the half.
The Gulls continued to pull away in the third as they were up by 13 points with one quarter remaining to be played.
Curry attempted a late rally, coming within five points with less than one minute remaining to be played but Endicott held onto the 69-63 victory to improve to 8-4 in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play.
Kaleigh Putnam (Wallingford, Conn.) and Cassandra Stapelfeld (Brookline, N.H.) led the team offensively with 17 points each, while Gabriella Coppola (Watertown, Mass.) and Emily Pratt (Gardner, Mass.) were close behind with 13 each.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Coppola pulled down a team-high eight rebounds and Pratt had seven.
- Sam Charette (Wenham, Mass.) led the team in blocks with three.
- Endicott now leads the all-time series, 26-7.
- The game saw three ties and nine lead changes.
FOR THE FOES
- Emily Irwin (Billerica, Mass.) led all scorers with 28 points.
- Gine Coote (Dedham, Mass.), Nicole Rice (Woburn, Mass.), and Irwin each recorded a team-high nine rebounds.
- The Colonels held a 40-32 rebound advantage.
Endicott (10-9, 8-4 CCC) travels to Western New England on Tuesday, Jan. 30 at 5:30 p.m. Curry (10-9, 6-6 CCC) travels to Nichols for a 5:30 p.m. contest on Tuesday, Jan. 30.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)