BEVERLY, Mass. – The Endicott women's basketball team fell to Salve Regina University, 62-61, in conference action on Saturday afternoon at MacDonald Gymnasium.
Salve Regina trailed for the entire contest until it mattered most, on the Seahawks final possession of the contest. Torie Scorpio (Cranston, R.I.) sank the game-winning basket for the visitors with 1.1-seconds to play as the junior point guard used a pick at the free throw line, drove to the basket, and let go a right-handed floater that circled around the rim until it fell in dramatically with little time remaining for an Endicott answer.
On the other end, Endicott's game-winning three-point attempt from the left corner was too long and the Seahawks came away with the victory to improve to 7-9 overall and 3-4 in conference action.
Individually, Kaleigh Putnam (Wallingford, Conn.) paced the Gulls with 15 points, six rebounds, and five assists. Mikaela Rogers (Haverhill, Mass.) also contributed 14 points and nine rebounds, while Catie Lipscomb (West Springfield, Mass.) and Emily Pratt (Gardner, Mass.) notched 12 and 10 points, respectively.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Gulls are 4-2 at home this season.
- Putnam's point and assist totals paced Endicott in both categories.
- Endicott's five-game winning streak and six-game conference winning streak came to an end in today's loss.
- The Gulls' largest lead was 12 points with 8:02 remaining in the second quarter.
- Today's game was tightly contested throughout as Endicott only led by double-digit points for 7:34 in the matchup.
Endicott (10-6, 6-1 CCC) travels to the University of New England on Wednesday, January 16 at 5:30 PM. Salve Regina (7-9, 3-4 CCC) hosts Gordon College next Wednesday at 5:30 PM.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)