BEVERLY, Mass. – Behind a 41 save shutout from sophomore goaltender Lindsay O'Connell (Danvers, Mass.) and a pair of late third period goals, Nichols College defeated the Endicott women's ice hockey team, 2-0, on Friday evening at Raymond J. Bourque Arena.
Bison sophomore forward Laura Christie (Hudson, Mass.) broke open a scoreless tie at the 9:20 mark of the third period when she sniped home her third goal of the season past the glove of freshman netminder Carrera Noelscher (Georgetown, K.Y.) into the back of the net for a 1-0 advantage.
Four minutes and 25-seconds later, junior forward Samantha DiReda (Shrewsbury, Mass.) doubled the lead for the guests (2-0) with a great individual effort to tally her third goal of the 2015-16 campaign. After gaining clearance into the offensive zone, DiReda weaved her way from the right face-off circle into the slot and rifled a shot into the right corner of the net.
O'Connell then went on to stop five shots over the remainder of the game (6:15) to secure the victory, and record her first win of the season in goal for the Bison.
Noelscher finished the contest with three saves in 58:58 of action.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Endicott and Nichols are now tied 1-1 in the all-time series after today's game.
- The Bison snapped their three-game losing streak with their victory over the Gulls.
- Nichols has only scored more than two goals in once in a game this season.
- Endicott outshot Nichols, 41-5, in the loss.
FOR THE FOES
- Mackenzie Lyons (Scottsdale, Ariz.) picked up an assist on Christie's tally at 9:20 of the third.
- Along with earning her first win of the season in goal today, O'Connell recorded her first career shutout.
Endicott (7-4-2) hosts Salve Regina tomorrow at Raymond J. Bourque Arena in non-conference action at 1 p.m. Nichols (2-11-0) welcomes Trinity to its campus on Tuesday, January 12 for a non-conference matchup scheduled to start at 12:40 p.m.