CANTON, N.Y. – Freshman forward Caroline Hughes (Andover, Mass.) registered two points and Vendela Jonsson (Linkoping, Sweden) stopped all 34 shots she faced to lead the Endicott women's ice hockey team to a 3-0 victory over SUNY Canton on Saturday evening at the Roos House.
Behind Jonsson's strong play in net, Hughes gave the Gulls the only goal they needed in the contest at the 7:56 mark of the first period on feeds from Maggie Layo (Sandwich, Mass.) and Lexi Klein (Shoreview, Minn.).
Endicott went on to receive a second period tally from Samantha Fuller (Moretown, Vt.) at 10:58 and the all-important insurance goal from Danielle Comorre (Tujunga, Calif.) in the third (1:18) to put the clamps on the win.
Jonsson turned away 14 shots in the first, and ten more in the second and third periods, respectively, for her sixth shutout this season. SUNY Canton's Rebecca Dinardo (Ottawa, Ontario) made 20 saves in the loss (8-5-3).
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Jonsson is now 8-5-3 in net for the Gulls this season after today's victory.
- Layo won a game-high 16 faceoffs.
- Endicott is 3-0-0 in the all-time series versus SUNY Canton.
- The Gulls have outscored the Kangaroos, 12-2, during that span.
FOR THE FOES
- Margret Troiano (Morristown, N.Y.) won a team-high 12 faceoffs.
- SUNY Canton is currently riding a ten-game losing streak.
Endicott (10-6-3, 6-1-1 CHC) hosts Morrisville State for a pair of Colonial Hockey Conference (CHC) games next Friday (7 PM) and Saturday (1 PM). SUNY Canton (4-14-1, 4-3-1 CHC) visits Becker College next Friday (8:10 PM) and Saturday (12:50 PM).