GORHAM, Maine – Behind a short-handed goal from Courtney Walpole (Allen, Texas) and a 14-save shutout from Vendela Jonsson (Linkoping, Sweden), the Endicott women's ice hockey team defeated Southern Maine, 2-0, in their respective season openers on Friday night at USM Ice Arena.
Walpole put the Gulls on the scoreboard with her first career short-handed goal at the 10:14 mark of the first period, and Endicott never looked back behind Jonsson's strong play in net.
Lexi Klein (Shoreview, Minn.) also added an empty net tally with 40-seconds to play in the game to seal the victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Endicott is 2-0-0 in season opening games.
- Walpole's short-handed goal was just the second in program history for the Gulls.
- Klein scored the first-ever short-handed goal on 10/31/15 versus Nichols.
- Jonsson now has nine shutouts to her credit in her career.
- Nicole Demers (Avon, Conn.) picked up her first career helper on Klein's empty netter.
FOR THE FOES
- Britney Evangelista (North Smithfield, R.I.) stopped 28 shots in the loss (0-1-0).
- Katie Nolan (Dorchester, Mass.) led the Huskies in shots with five total.
Endicott (1-0-0) will take on Johnson and Wales University in a home-and-home series on November 4 and 5, with both games scheduled for 7 p.m. Southern Maine (0-1-0) hosts the University of New England on Friday, November 4 at 4 p.m.