BEVERLY, Mass. – The No. 10 nationally ranked Endicott women's ice hockey team scored at least one goal in every period en route to a 4-0 victory over Salve Regina on Tuesday night at Raymond J. Bourque Arena.
Jillian Gibbs (Burlington, Vt.) redirected a Courtney Walpole (Allen, Texas) shot from close range into the back of the net at the 4:09 mark of the first period, and from that point on the game never looked in doubt for the Gulls.
Gibbs went to score her 10th goal of the season in the second (2:05) on a slapshot from the left face-off circle, while Caroline Hughes (Andover, Mass.) and Maggie Layo (Sandwich, Mass.) both scored in the third (5:01/16:41) to lock up the victory. Hughes punched home a rebound near the left post, and Layo one-timed a shot past Salve Regina's netminder, glove side, for their seventh and 12th goals of the season, respectively.
Meanwhile, Endicott goaltender Vendela Jonsson (Linkoping, Sweden) recorded her 13th career shutout on 27 saves. Seahawks' netminder Jennifer O'Connell (Marstons Mills, Mass.) had 37 saves in the loss (4-16-1).
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Endicott is 2-0-1 in the all-time series versus Salve Regina.
- The Gulls have outscored the Seahawks 10-5 in the series, which includes back-to-back games with four goals (both wins).
- Gibbs was one goal shy of scoring the first natural hat-trick in program history before Hughes found the back of the net at the 5:01 mark of the second.
- Walpole's three assists on the night tied the single-game program record also held by Jade Meier (Fairbanks, Alaska) and Meaghan Farragher (Bridgewater, Mass.).
- The last three goals in the game for Endicott were scored on the power play.
FOR THE FOES
- Salve Regina won the face-off matchup, 30-21.
- Mikayla Anderson (University Place, Wash.) notched a game-high 16 face-off wins.
- O'Connell stopped 13 shots in the first and second periods, and another 11 in the third.
Endicott (19-3-1) hosts Salem State University on Friday, February 17 at 7 PM. Salve Regina (4-16-1) takes on Holy Cross at home on this Friday at 7 PM.