BEVERLY, Mass. – The No. 10 Endicott women's ice hockey team downed Nichols 3-1 on Saturday night at Levy Rink.
The game remained scoreless through the first period and most of the second frame as well. With less than 30 seconds remaining in the second, Jillian Gibbs (Burlington, Vt.) gave Endicott a 1-0 lead with help from Jade Meier (Fairbanks, Alaska).
Mel McAleer (Hanson, Mass.) evened the score at 1-1, just over four minutes into the third period.
With less than two minutes remaining in the third frame, Meier added an insurance goal for the Gulls to secure the 3-1 victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Vendela Jonsson (Linkoping, Sweden) improved to 4-0-1 on the season and recorded 16 saves.
- Madison Huber (Pittsburgh, Pa.) added an assist on Meier's second goal.
- Huber, Meier, and Lexi Klein (Shoreview, Minn.) led the offense with six shots each.
- Endicott held the 42-17 shot advantage.
FOR JOHNSON & WALES
- Cassandra Goyette (Norton, Mass.) made 39 saves in the loss (2-4-0).
- Kelly Ferreira (North Falmouth, Mass.) tallied an assist on Nichols' goal.
- Jordyn McGuire (Salem, N.H.) and Callie Jackson (Vineyard Haven, Mass.) paced the offense with four shots each.
No. 10 Endicott (6-0-1, 5-0-1 CHC) faces Stevenson on Saturday, Nov. 25 at 4 p.m. at the 11th Annual Codfish Bowl hosted by UMass Boston. Nichols (2-4-0, 2-4-0 CHC) travels to New England College for a 1 p.m. contest on Saturday, Dec. 2.
(Photo credit - David Le '10)