BOSTON, Mass. – The No. 7 Endicott women's ice hockey team traveled to UMass Boston for the 11th Annual Codfish Bowl and defeated Stevenson by a score of 3-1.
The Gulls got on the board first with a goal from Caroline Hughes (Andover, Mass.), just over halfway through the first period.
Rachel Lustenring (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) increased the lead to 2-0 in the opening minutes of the second frame.
The Mustangs responded with a tally from Chelsea Blackburn (Westland, Mich.) to cut the deficit to 2-1.
Jillian Gibbs (Burlington, Vt.) netted her fourth goal of the season in the third period to ensure the 3-1 Endicott victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Vendela Jonsson (Linkoping, Sweden) improved to 5-0-1 on the season and recorded 16 saves.
- Earning assists on the night for the Gulls were Lexi Klein (Shoreview, Minn.), Maggie Layo (Sandwich, Mass.), Ellen Carter (Roseville, Minn.) and Jade Meier (Fairbanks, Alaska).
- Klein and Gibbs led the offense with five shots each.
FOR THE FOES
- Caitie Darosa (Madison, Conn.) made 26 saves in the loss (2-4-0).
- Jordan Pirrello (Toms River, N.J.) and Monica Pozuc (Kent, Ohio) assisted on Stevenson's goal.
- Sarah Antonelli (Newport, Mich.), Blackburn, and Pozuc paced the offense with seven shots each.
- The Mustangs held a 35-29 shot advantage.
No. 7 Endicott (7-0-1, 5-0-1 CHC) will face UMass Boston on Sunday, Nov. 26 at 4 p.m. in the final game of the 11th Annual Codfish Bowl. Stevenson (0-6-1, 0-3-1 UCHC) plays Wesleyan on Sunday, Nov. 26 at 1 p.m. in the 11th Annual Codfish Bowl.
(Photo credit - David Le '10)