MIDDLETOWN, R.I. – The No. 7 Endicott women's ice hockey team defeated Salve Regina by a score of 3-1 tonight at the St. George's School Ice Rink.
The Gulls took a 1-0 lead late in the first period on a goal from Teneal Perry (Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada).
Just over six minutes into the second frame, Ellen Carter (Roseville, Minn.) made it 2-0 nothing in favor of Endicott with her fourth goal of the season.
Jillian Gibbs (Burlington, Vt.) added another goal less than seven minutes later to put the Gulls up 3-0.
Salve Regina responded with a tally from Amanda Fantasia (Billerica, Mass.) to cut the deficit to 3-1 heading into the final period of play.
Endicott continued to pressure offensively but netminder Jennifer O'Connell (Marstons Mills, Mass.) was able to come up with several big saves to keep the score at 3-1 through the remainder of the contest.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Alyssa Peterson (Cranberry Township, Pa.) improved to 3-0-0 on the season and recorded 17 saves.
- Alexa Pretkelis (Crystal Lake, Ill.), Jade Meier (Fairbanks, Alaska), Rachel Lustenring (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) and Nicole Demers (Avon, Conn.) were credited with assists during the contest.
- Carter led the offense with 10 shots
- Endicott held the 57-18 shot advantage.
FOR THE FOES
- O'Connell made 54 saves in the loss (2-10-0).
- Meredith Peppes (Lincoln, R.I.) assisted on Fantasia's goal.
- Fantasia paced the offense with four shots.
No. 7 Endicott (9-0-1, 5-0-1 CHC) travels to Wesleyan (Conn.) on Friday, Dec. 8 for a 7 p.m. contest. Salve Regina (2-10-0, 1-5-0 NEHC) is at Nichols on Wednesday, Dec. 6 at 5:40 p.m.
(Photo credit - David Le '10)