MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The No. 7 Endicott women's ice hockey team defeated Wesleyan (Conn.), 5-1 this evening at Spurrier-Snyder Rink.
Maggie Layo (Sandwich, Mass.) got the scoring started in the first period to give the Gulls an early 1-0 lead. Four minutes later, Lauren Ferraiuolo (North Haven, Conn.) netted her third goal of the season to extend the lead to 2-0.
Rounding out the scoring in the first period was Jade Meier (Fairbanks, Alaska) to give Endicott a 3-0 lead heading into the second frame.
Wesleyan responded with a goal from Alex Horton (Great Neck, N.Y.) as time wound down in the second period to snap the shutout.
However, the Gulls added two more goals in the third period from Jillian Gibbs (Burlington, Vt.) and Layo to secure the 5-1 victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Vendela Jonsson (Linkoping, Sweden) improved to 7-0-1 on the season and recorded 17 saves.
- Ashlie Jones (Billerica, Mass.), Ellen Carter (Roseville, Minn.), Lexi Klein (Shoreview, Minn.) Michaela McNamara (Warwick, R.I.), Gibbs, and Meier were credited with assists during the contest.
- Klein led the team in assists with three on the night.
- Gibbs and Layo each recorded a team-high four shots.
- Endicott held the 27-18 shot advantage.
- The Gulls were 1-for-4 on the power play, while the Cardinals were 0-for-1.
- Klein reached 50 career points with her three points in this contest. She is the first Endicott women's ice hockey player to reach 50 career points.
FOR THE FOES
- Sam Smith (Tarentum, Pa.) recorded 22 saves during the loss and shifted to 1-2-0 on the season.
- Horton paced the offense with four shots, while Jackie Kilar (Weare, N.H.) was close behind with three.
No. 7 Endicott (10-0-1, 5-0-1 CHC) hosts Plymouth State on Saturday, Dec. 16 for a 3 p.m. contest. Wesleyan (2-4-2, 0-0-2 NESCAC) is at the University of New England on Tuesday, Jan. 2 at 4 p.m.
(Photo credit - David Le '10)